The home we leased was auctioned off

Help with paying other bills, assistance, or anything else you may need or want to discuss.
Doglover12
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

The home we leased was auctioned off

Post by Doglover12 »

To whom it may concern;
Hello. My name is Dana & I am sending you this email on behalf of my mother (Sharon - 64 years.-Disabled/Retired) & myself. I don’t even know if you can help, and/or assist me/us, or point us in the right direction possibly, so that we do not end up LITERALLY out on our street. The rental home we leased is being auctioned by the county.
We are going to be displaced & w/o a place to call 'home,' on September 1, 2021. Ok...where do I begin? 
My mother moved into (her mother's) my grandmother's house several years ago to help her, as she (my grandmother aka: Betty Hoke) was 80+ years old. My grandma passed away a couple of years ago @ the age of 89. After my divorce, I moved into my grandma's w/ my mom, because her health had, and has been failing her, as she has congestive heart failure, (2 strokes & heart attack), & most recently in January 2017, a defibrillator was put in. After going through divorce of nearly 20 years, my mom asked that I come live w/ her & help her w/ the day-to-day.
We found out, since my grandmother passed, that she owed 'back taxes' on her home, and that is why the leased home is being auctioned. When my grandfather passed (here, @ their home) in 2006, my grandma was alone. They'd bought their home in 1987, & paid it completely off by 2003. He always took care of everything financially, so she, I guess, didn’t ever realize how far they'd gotten behind; actually, my mom & I aren't sure, now looking back, if she even KNEW that she had to pay them @ all.
But, long story short....mom & I tried on several occasions, to pay on them, but could not ever raise enough to make a dent. The Shawnee County Counselor's office sent us a notice stating that my grandma's home was going to be auctioned off at their yearly sale, in April 28, 2022, to the highest bidder, unless we could pay the back taxes upwards of $14,000 dollars, in full.
Mom & I exhausted EVERY resource we could think of to try to saved our leased property from the auction, including trying to get a loan, etc. But neither one of us has the best credit because of divorce (is). Finally, my mom did speak to a reverse mortgage company Who said they'd give us a reverse mortgage, but that it took "30" days to process all of the paperwork, etc.
Involved with getting one. My mom got an attorney who, by the grace of GOD, took us on, without charging us fees up front, once he heard what we were facing/up against.
He has been able to assist us in having my grandparent's home transferred into my mom's name, & all of the legalities that went long with that. In April, the City/County Counselor's office, auctioned my grandma's house off & it sold for more than what was owed in back taxes. THANK GOD ABOVE, because being that my mom is the ONLY living relative, she could claim the "excess" monies after the city took their $14+ grand for back taxes, & we'd at least be able to start over, & not be completely displaced, without a place to live, & home for our animal(s), etc.
Since all of this has happened, we have met the new owners of my grandma's house, and they are really nice & caring people (Mike & Connie Catt). But, as the "new" home owners, they also want to take possession of their new home ASAP.
As for my mom & I.....the ONLY WAY we are going to be able to seek & pay for moving expenses, etc. Security deposit, and rent money + utilities....is by having the 'excess funds' from the sale of my grandparent's home, minus the city (back) taxes that we owed, to be dispersed to my mother ASAP. The problem lies in the fact that the County Counselor's Office (Shawnee County) has yet to issue any proceeds to my mom, & now that we've still been living in the home for the last 4-5 months since the sale, the 'new' owners have been so very patient, considering they KNOW OUR SITUATION so well, but are going to take ownership as of September 1, 2021, & change all the locks.
They have been MORE THAN FAIR to us all this time as well. We are now trying to find someplace to rent that will accept our animals & neither of us has had to "rent" for over 20+ years, until now.  We are going at this COMPLETELY BLIND due to my mom being on disability & only getting paid once a month, and myself bi-weekly.
So, without knowing exactly when my mother will receive the proceeds from the auction of the rental home we leased, to help us start over, we are literally 'stuck' between a rock and a hard place, so to speak, as we cannot come up with enough monies to get moved with such little time.
Did I mention that my grandma's house is a two-story home with a full basement 4 Bedrooms, 2 bath & '2' double. Car garages that sits on 4 lots?? We've been packing for well over a month now, & it’s been back breaking because we don't have any other family, nor anyone else to depend on, except for one another for help. Neither of us has ever been made to become homeless, or indigent, fortunately, but as things sit now, it looks as though it may happen to us on Sept. 1, 2017, when the Catt family makes us vacate the premises.
We're having the worst time just trying to find someone, anyone, who will allow us to move into their rental due to our pets. We have 3 dogs and 4 cats. All of which are indoor animals. But as well mannered & house broken they are, we have yet to find a home that will accept our family 'as a whole,' without having to think of the idea of breaking us all up. It would kill my mom.
As of this afternoon, my mom received a letter from the Shawnee County Counselor's Office when our mail came, & it states that the proceeds total $30,765.31, & that it'll be ANOTHER 120 days before they'll issue a check to her. We just DO NOT HAVE that kind of time or ANY IDEA what we're going to do come September1st. If you, or ANYONE in your office has ANY advice, or help they will be willing to share with our family, we'd be forever indebted to you.
It’s NEVER been like us, nor in our nature, to have to resort to asking anyone for help/aid. We've worked hard for our accomplishments thus far in our lives, & are at our wits end as to what we can do to avoid having to split up our small family, yet feel safe/secure in being able to restart our lives somewhere different than we've always known. We'd like the opportunity, & are more than willing, to pay back any funds and/or rental assistance given to us, with interest, when my mother receives proceeds from the sale of my grandparent's home.
And we can also provide any/all relevant documentation of the auction as proof that everything I have written in this letter is TRUE & FACTUAL to the best of my/our knowledge & we are willing to sign a document stating so. PLEASE respond/reply if there is ANYTHING your office can assist us in doing. I truly do want to "THANK~YOU" from the bottom of my heart for taking time out of your busy day, to read my email. BLESS YOU. I am hopeful that I may hear back from you in the near future, but until then ....ENJOY your day.