Roommate in jail

Help with paying other bills, assistance, or anything else you may need or want to discuss.
Schaub
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Roommate in jail

Post by Schaub »

My ex-husband and I have remained friends. He is on SSDI, and has a mental disability.
He moved into a rental place, with a roommate approximately 45 days ago, at Jacksonville FL, 32254. His rent was paid, and he has receipts to prove it.  Now his roommate was arrested and in jail per below.
Everything he owns was at that house, including new-Christmas things I bought for him, all his food from the recent Hurricane Irma DCF relief, for $370 (he usually receives only $16 a month in food stamps, so I took him to the store and he stocked up). He just bought $70 in tobacco and papers to roll his own cigarettes, and his machine was with it, etc., etc.
When I took him back home to his rental yesterday, his roommate had broken in his room and stole some of his things and took the air conditioner out of his window to get in.
My husband called the police, but they said they couldn't do anything, and his roommate was not there at that point.
About 10 minutes later his roommate showed up and just went completely berserk! He threatened to kill My husband and My husband was locked in his bedroom. He took My husband things that were outside his room (in the kitchen and dining area) and started throwing them outside to the curb, making sure he broke his things, while he danced crazily in front of my car; I felt so helpless (and I have a physical disability). At one point, he was singing that he was going to kill me, too. My husband and I both called the police numerous times, told them what Talmedge was doing, that we just found out that he smokes weed heavily, and that he threatened to kill both of us; they did not show up for over an hour and 15 minutes!)
Then Talmedge (roommate) broke My husband bedroom door down and this violence is while he is in jail. He proceeded to takes My husband's 32" color tv, smashed it to pieces in the yard, then pulled his * out and urinated all over it, while neighbor's, Charlie, and I watched in horror! He drug everything out of My husband's room and threw it to the curb, in a heaping mess, while smashing and breaking what he could. My husband and I were both devastated and crying.
The police (finally), and Talmedge's Father both showed up. His Father got nowhere with him. He said his Son was off his meds and needed to be Baker Acted to a mental facility. The police, after taking well over an hour to show up even, said Talmedge the roomate did not "meet the criteria" for Baker Acting him. But he was put into jail. We could not believe our ears. Does someone have to get beaten up or die before they'll take him?!
I had to find shelter for My husband for the night, as I live in a senior facility. All My husband has is the clothes on his back now...and that's it; he is so devastated and does not know what to do, and is ready to give up. Everything is gone, including personal papers and memorabilia.
Can you please help him, as soon as is possible?! We would really appreciate anything you can do.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Roommate in jail

Post by Admin »

If your roommate is in jail, and you have stress/anxiety from it, and need financial help, try a church for support. They can counseling you and maybe your roommate when they get out, give guidance and support, and maybe some food, clothes, and financial support. Find details on financial help from churches.
Danica

Post by Danica »

Hi There!
My name is Morgan. I live in Seattle, WA (Fremont) and am in need of financial help. My roommate who helped with the bills is now in jail. I have 2 young children who attend Elementary school, and I am a dance instructor in the area as well. We live in a 2 bedroom apartment in Fremont with a roommate who committed a crime and is going to jail. My 2 children and I share one small room and we need more space. Our roommate has threatened to kick us out multiple times due to emotional reasons, which makes things feel not secure. I have found a place to rent that would be perfect for us, more room and right next to my kids school.
Of course it is out of my price range, but again it would be ideal for us to live here. Trying to get any sort of assistance that might help us move into this bigger space, like move in costs or ANYTHING! Please let me know if there are any vouchers or programs that could possibly help us.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

With the roommate so leaving jail, there are programs for ex-prisoners, felons, people that were incarcerated or how ever you want to phrase it. Everything from housing to work - job programs and more, and we have details on the site. Learn how formerly incarcerated people will get help.