SSI disabled car programs - both repairs and new ones

Help with paying other bills, assistance, or anything else you may need or want to discuss.
Batman
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

SSI disabled car programs - both repairs and new ones

Post by Batman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:34 pm

I work with many low income families that are either on SSI/Disability or other. Many of them either have vehicles that need repaired or they do not have one to start with. Many of the families also depend on community resources to survive. I am looking for any information that I can get regarding ALL programs offered in my area. I am in the Breckinridge County, Hardinsburg Kentucky area. Any help is appreciated.

Admin
Site Admin

Re: SSI disabled car programs - both repairs and new ones

Post by Admin » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:02 pm

There are many free transportation programs for the disabled. Now while we doubt they will be given a car, more likely will be a ride to a medical appointment or some other local trip. But they may come with a small fee...usually to cover gasoline or wear and tear on the car. But a disabled person on SSI can use that check to pay for it. The fee may only be a few bucks, and sometimes is voluntary as well.
Batman wrote:I work with many low income families that are either on SSI/Disability or other. Many of them either have vehicles that need repaired or they do not have one to start with. Many of the families also depend on community resources to survive.

Ditka1

Post by Ditka1 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:00 am

Hello,
I am a 60 years young, disabled and have been unemployed since August 3, 2012.
I have been applying for jobs and going on interviews but now I'm not able to go on interviews as my car has developed a problem within the transmission and will cost approximately $1,400 to repair. The small family I have is not able to help me.
My unemployment benefit is $234 which covers my basic monthly expenses, including my modest mortgage, but doesn't allow for a costly repair on my car which is a 2005 Jeep with 103,600 miles.
Any guidance you can provide will be GREATLY appreciated!

Patriots

Post by Patriots » Mon May 22, 2017 7:02 pm

HHR and there is something wrong with the front end.
It makes a loud noise and vibrates. Someone told me it sounds like a CV axel problem. I don't know. But I need this car for doctor’s appointment for myself and for my mother.
We both live on a small SSI and SSDI income. Is there anyone who can help us. What money we make has to go into house hold bills. I don't know anything about cars and certainly don't have money to get it fixed so if there is help out there please help me.
Sincerely

Patriots

Post by Patriots » Mon May 22, 2017 7:28 pm

I'm 53 and disabled I live in Millsboro Delaware. I take care of my 85 year old mother by myself. I have a 2006 Chevy HHR and there is something wrong with the front end.
It makes a loud noise and vibrates. Someone told me it sounds like a CV axel problem. I don't know. But I need this car for doctor’s appointment for myself and for my mother.
We both live on a small SSI and SSDI income. Is there anyone who can help us. What money we make has to go into house hold bills. I don't know anything about cars and certainly don't have money to get it fixed so if there is help out there please help me.
Sincerely

Ronimo

Post by Ronimo » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:38 pm

I have a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport V6 3.3L. I am on SSDI and am raising my grandson. I just found out yesterday when I had the oil changed and they did they inspection while they were rotating the tire. I need Brake Pads in front and back and Rotors in the front. The place I went said it would be $350 to fix it. I can't afford that. It would take me months to get the money and I'm afraid the brakes will give out before I get the money to fix it. I don't have family members that are in a position to help.
I live in Lancaster Ohio. Any help would be greatly appreciated

FamilyHelp

Post by FamilyHelp » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:26 pm

Hi. I have a car that needs work to get back on the road. I am on SSI disability and have a small part-time job that I need to work nights for. I am hesitant taking a late night bus home from work and then walking home alone in my neighborhood. Is there anywhere I can turn for help with car repairs?

MarryM

Post by MarryM » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:37 pm

I'm disabled and live on SSI. I am in need to get my vehicle fix and a bill paid off. When I brought my vehicle I did not know it was going to take about 3500 to fix it up, after I already paid that much for it and got rip off. I went to a lawyer on it, also motor vehicle department, and they that there was nothing could be done, you brought the vehicle as is. Which SUCKS!!! Now I need help. I need this vehicle for running to the doctor appointment for health reasons which is why I am on disability. SSDI check does not goes when need your vesicle fix up. HELP!

Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:37 pm

Well, you can try one of the free car programs. Yes, some are for the disabled. But some are offered by other charities too. they may have info on how to fix your car too...but 3500 is a lot of money for a charity to pay up and chances of getting it are close to zero.
MarryM wrote:I'm disabled and live on SSI. I am in need to get my vehicle fix and a bill paid off. When I brought my vehicle I did not know it was going to take about 3500 to fix it up, after I already paid that much for it and got rip off. I went to a lawyer on it, also motor vehicle department, and they that there was nothing could be done, you brought the vehicle as is. Which SUCKS!!! Now I need help. I need this vehicle for running to the doctor appointment for health reasons which is why I am on disability. SSDI check does not goes when need your vesicle fix up. HELP!

The Monster

Post by The Monster » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:01 pm

Hello, my name is Debbie, I'm 61 years old and all alone on SSI disability and can't afford to pay to make car repairs, I managed to pinch and save for over a year to buy a car and when I found one I could afford the guy lied to me and put lubricant in bearings, so I wouldn't know they were bad. I'm stuck with a 2001 Mazda 626 with $700.00 worth of work needed before I can drive and see my son, I really need to be where my son is, I have no one else. The world today is uncaring and heartless. I was taken advantage of and I can't get help to take him to court so I'm stuck. I have a three day trip permit because I can't afford to change the title and I don't think it's even a legal title, I found out it's not his car, his wife tried to forge the signature, it's a mess, I need some help please.