To young for senior care

Help with paying other bills, assistance, or anything else you may need or want to discuss.
Person
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

To young for senior care

Post by Person »

My niece and nephew are both disabled and are only in their fifties and don't qualify for any senior assistance as they are too young still. He has arthritis so bad, he can't open a jar of pickles and is on Dilaudid for pain. My niece has spinal problems and pain in her joints to the point where she is only allowed to lift 5 pounds.
They called Hospice but do not qualify for any care due to their youth. They need free help with household chores and laundry. I have offered to help but I am 77 years old and she does not want me to help her - but are having trouble functioning. They are senior citizens and live in Canfield, Ohio, Mahoning County. Can anything be done?
Admin
Site Admin

Re: To young for senior care

Post by Admin »

You can try an Agency on Aging Center or the Mahoning County community action agency. Either one may have suggestions for you. As they may have home care options, even for "younger" adults that do not formally qualify for senior care. Or, as you said, try Hospice too for ideas.

Person wrote: They are senior citizens and live in Canfield, Ohio, Mahoning County. Can anything be done?
Purplepillow

Re: To young for senior care

Post by Purplepillow »

I'm disabled and on social security disability my income monthly is $1492 per month. I've been living in an apartment for 9 years as a senior, but I need more care but am too young to qualify. During the 9 years living here the landlord has increased the rent every year by 50 dollars, a few years ago he increased to 100 dollars. I feel that in 3 more years I won't be able to afford his rent increases and I am too young for other senior care, section 8 doesn't always cover the increase, this year section 8 only covered 5.00 dollars of the increase, I had to pay 45.00.
I had spoken to my section 8 worker and she told me to try to look for a cheaper apt. She also told me that section 8 may cover the rent increase. So that means that I have to do some begging come next year when the landlord increases the rent again I will have to call section and tell them I can't afford the rent increase and pray to God that section 8 will cover it. I had searched other apartments but most of them won't take my income because it's too low. I also applied to low income senior and disable apartments but they have a long waitlist, even though they got my application they wanted to interview me, but I didn't have the gas money to go.. Unfortunately these apartments I applied to, are far away from my current location.