house repair donation for a single mom

Help with paying other bills, assistance, or anything else you may need or want to discuss.
iwanna
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

house repair donation for a single mom

Post by iwanna »

Hi. My name is Paula Myles, I live in Jackson, MS. I’m a single mom of four. Two boys and two girls ages 19,15,9, and 3 in need of assistance fixing old house. My landlord informed me that she needs to move back into her home that we are currently renting by June. She let us stay till the end of school year which I still have to pay rent. My grandparents have an old house that's vacant that I have assess to but it needs some work. The roof needs repairing, the ceilings inside need replacing-one has falling completely in and the other have cracks and holes from water damage, countertop in kitchen is buckled, it has a busted pipes, and the bathroom need some repairs. I don't have enough money to make the repairs, find a car, get a storage for our things, and pay rent here too. Plus pay someone to do the repairs. I don't have anyone I can go stay with or ask for help. I have two months left and I am in desperate need of help. I’ve been looking online trying to find out how to get materials and repairs donated but I’m not quit sure what to do or who to contact. I would really appreciate if you could point me in the right direction. I just don't know what to else to do or where to turn. I just need help getting house suitable so kids and I can have a place to stay come May. Please help us in anyway u can.

Sincerely,

Mother in need

Paula Myles
Admin
Site Admin

Re: house repair donation for a single mom

Post by Admin »

Hi Paula,
Repairs for homes is very rare, if it exists at all. You may want to try a community action agency, and we have information on them in Mississippi. Maybe they have referrals. Some will have low interest loan programs for repairs. Or they may say you qualify for weatherization, which can take care of a few, targeted home improvements. Here is more information on these non-profit agencies in Mississippi. http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... ion_a.html
Hendrick

Re: house repair donation for a single mom

Post by Hendrick »

I'm contacting you because I need help with my home and I'm not sure if you can help but I found this information on a website. I purchased my home (foreclosure) back in 2011 as a single moms. Outside of all the other things that need fixing I recently (May 2016) had a water main leak in my front yard (my side of the water meter) due to having a broken polyurethane pipe which I paid $400 to be fixed. The plumber didn't replace the entire pipe just a small portion.
Well today I came home and now and there's another leak in a different spot that needs repair. The Gwinnett Water Rep came out and advised this pipe been discontinued (with a lawsuit) a few years before I purchased this home and that this it’s a big fix, I don't have the money for. Not sure why the Real Estate person that sold me the house didn't tell me this problem this would have been key on if I purchased this home.
My job is on commission. Being a single mom the money is tight and I don't have the money to fix this repair there is water traveling down the street and I don't know what to do. Can you please advise on if there's an organization you know of that can assist or offer grants to help me with this? Thank you so much.