He needs help or he may die......

Help with paying other bills, assistance, or anything else you may need or want to discuss.
losty
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

He needs help or he may die......

Post by losty »

I know someone that I love dearly who is an alcoholic. He is in his late 40s, and in the past has had addictions to different drugs (which he hasn't done any drugs for years). He is now self medicating with alcohol, and it's gotten bad. Lately he tries to not get drunk, which he doesn't always win on that personal battle. I personally do not think that AA meetings are what he needs, they didn't help him before. He needs medical help for his alcohol problem (medications which help with withdrawals, etc) I have done research about alcoholism, and because of the amount he drinks, and the years he has been drinking, quitting cold turkey could possibly kill him, if he isn't treated medically by a professional. He has tried slowing down but thats not helping him. He may have a good day here and there, but he falls back into getting drunk. He wets the bed now when he is drunk, and he is humiliated about it. He told me tonight, that he feels as if he is losing his mind. When he is drunk, he seems to be delusional and extremely angry. I am concerned because he doesn't even seem like himself anymore, it's as if, when drunk, he has a split personality or something. He told me he is scared and doesn't know what to do anymore.

The bed wetting, probably is a sign that his organs aren't functioning properly because of the alcohol. I am worried sick about him. He is ready to get help...He is ready to change his life. He doesn't believe that anyone will help him.......I hope he is wrong about that

Financial issues are a problem.
He needs medical treatment, and counseling.
Any suggestions?
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: He needs help or he may die......

Post by Admin »

All states have free clinics that operate in them. While most wouldn't help with an addition like alcoholism, some may help with mental conditions, offer in or outpatient care, or more. Even if they do not help they may have ideas of who you can call in your state or county. Use this to find a listing of free clinics by state, and start making calls and asking around. They may have information on medications for that condition too.
losty wrote:I know someone that I love dearly who is an alcoholic. He is in his late 40s, and in the past has had addictions to different drugs (which he hasn't done any drugs for years). He is now self medicating with alcohol, and it's gotten bad. Lately he tries to not get drunk, which he doesn't always win on that personal battle. I personally do not think that AA meetings are what he needs, they didn't help him before. He needs medical help for his alcohol problem (medications which help with withdrawals, etc) I have done research about alcoholism, and because of the amount he drinks, and the years he has been drinking, quitting cold turkey could possibly kill him, if he isn't treated medically by a professional. He has tried slowing down but thats not helping him. He may have a good day here and there, but he falls back into getting drunk. He wets the bed now when he is drunk, and he is humiliated about it. He told me tonight, that he feels as if he is losing his mind. When he is drunk, he seems to be delusional and extremely angry. I am concerned because he doesn't even seem like himself anymore, it's as if, when drunk, he has a split personality or something. He told me he is scared and doesn't know what to do anymore.

The bed wetting, probably is a sign that his organs aren't functioning properly because of the alcohol. I am worried sick about him. He is ready to get help...He is ready to change his life. He doesn't believe that anyone will help him.......I hope he is wrong about that

Financial issues are a problem.
He needs medical treatment, and counseling.
Any suggestions?
losty

Post by losty »

thank you
kenneltech

Post by kenneltech »

If he has gotten help before but he continues to drink, then he doesn't really want to stop. I know you will argue that, but if he truly is that miserable, something would have taken hold, even AA. There are thousands of people that have gone to AA and are doing well. I know of what I speak because I am an addict and fought alcohol and drugs for years. He probably will die at the rate he's going. But honestly, even if he gets medical intervention, if he doesn't want it or only THINKS he wants it and goes home and starts drinking again, then all hope is lost.

He sounds like his kidneys are failing, yet he still drinks. It is so sad, so very, very sad. Check with clinics in low income areas, there are many, many places that will help people with addictions, but if he goes to seek help and he continues to drink, your best bet is to get out so you don't have to watch the miserable way alcoholics die. I'm so sorry to have to be so blunt.
Kalarahi
anti spam: Blue

Post by Kalarahi »

I'm a 20 year old male. I am a community college student, and if I don't get help I may just die. I was living with my mother who unfortunately recently passed. I may have a job soon and for the time being I'm staying temporarily with my family members. My section 8 voucher will expire September of this year so I have to find a place fast but I haven't been able to save any money.
So if it is possible I'm looking for some assistance and or information on who I can contact to help with a security deposit for an apartment of about $950. The help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.