Need help with electric and transportation

Help with paying other bills, assistance, or anything else you may need or want to discuss.
notmemom
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Need help with electric and transportation

Post by notmemom »

I am a disabled veteran who needs some help. I do receive my VA disability but the last year has just wiped me out. My husband lost his job at the beginning of 2011, he is working again but it is minimum wage. We have 5 children 3 at home. My oldest is a single mom with two kids one of which is autistic. My oldest son is going to college in South Dakota. We have a son who is going to college at the local community college and staying home to cut down on costs. Our 17 year old daughter is a senior and we have an 8 year old that we are adopting; she is my niece. Her mom is a drug addict and prostitute so we took her in. I was diagnosed with breast cancer; luckily it was at Stage 0 and only required a lumpectomy. My father passed away leaving my 86 year old mom a widow and we drive every other weekend 5 hours to clean her house, prepare meals and do grocery shopping etc. We have a 1999 dodge grand caravan that has over 225000 miles on it, a cracked windshield and fender damage. We do not qualify for any food stamps or assistance with bills because we make about $25 to much a month. Our total income for the month is about $1600 and by the time we pay mortgage, electric, gas, water and trash there is not much left for even groceries let alone anything extra. My van needs a lot of work done to it but I just can’t afford it. Everyone keeps telling me to just go get another vehicle and one of the buy here pay here lots but we can’t afford the monthly payment. We owe over $1000 in electric bills. If you can help in any way we would appreciate it. Thank you.
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Need help with electric and transportation

Post by Admin »

We need to know the state and county in question. As we say all the time most assistance programs are local. While we wait for more information from you, some resources to review include these. For your utility bills, try contacting your energy provider and ask them about grants, weatherization, and financial assistance they may offer. Find more on energy assistance, and find your state for local options. You need to go through every expense and look for savings. So for mortgage try a listing of local government mortgage programs and try state foreclosure and mortgage assistance programs. Explore the main site for thousands of charities, phone numbers, programs, and more.

notmemom wrote:I am a disabled veteran who needs some help. I do receive my VA disability but the last year has just wiped me out. My husband lost his job at the beginning of 2011, he is working again but it is minimum wage. We have 5 children 3 at home. My oldest is a single mom with two kids one of which is autistic. My oldest son is going to college in South Dakota. We have a son who is going to college at the local community college and staying home to cut down on costs. Our 17 year old daughter is a senior and we have an 8 year old that we are adopting; she is my niece. Her mom is a drug addict and prostitute so we took her in. I was diagnosed with breast cancer; luckily it was at Stage 0 and only required a lumpectomy. My father passed away leaving my 86 year old mom a widow and we drive every other weekend 5 hours to clean her house, prepare meals and do grocery shopping etc. We have a 1999 dodge grand caravan that has over 225000 miles on it, a cracked windshield and fender damage. We do not qualify for any food stamps or assistance with bills because we make about $25 to much a month. Our total income for the month is about $1600 and by the time we pay mortgage, electric, gas, water and trash there is not much left for even groceries let alone anything extra. My van needs a lot of work done to it but I just can’t afford it. Everyone keeps telling me to just go get another vehicle and one of the buy here pay here lots but we can’t afford the monthly payment. We owe over $1000 in electric bills. If you can help in any way we would appreciate it. Thank you.
notmemom

Post by notmemom »

We live in Newton County MO but as I stated we make about $25 too much for assistance, $29 to be exact. But thanks anyway. I have tried all the agencies.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Well here are a couple more in case you didn't already try them.
http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... rogr1.html
notmemom wrote:We live in Newton County MO but as I stated we make about $25 too much for assistance, $29 to be exact. But thanks anyway. I have tried all the agencies.
notmemom

Post by notmemom »

These are actually ran out of just one place and they are the only place in the area that will do any kind of help. But they are the ones we are 29 dollars over with. There is just not much help in this area. I do appreciate the info but they just do not do much at all for anyone if you have any kind of income at all. We would be better off if my husband didn't work and just stayed home and did nothing. Going back to work even for minimum wage we thought was the right thing to do but now it doesn't seem to be.
notmemom

Post by notmemom »

Please if anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate them.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Here is an extensive listing of Missouri assistance programs. Towards top of page are more state specific, towards middle are local resources. Numerous links from the page go to Missouri food banks, utility programs, credit and foreclosure counseling, and much more. This is the "gateway" page for help in Missouri.
http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/mis ... grams.html
notmemom wrote:Please if anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate them.
Markets

Post by Markets »

My fiancé' and I are doing what we can but are having an extremely rough go of things, we are in dire need of transportation, and help getting into a new place to live. If you have any way to help it would be much, much appreciated. Our address is in Mount Clemens Michigan, 48043. It can be addressed to either of us.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

There are some volunteer ride services if you have a job interview. As far as the housing, look into some agencies in Macomb that offer deposit help. While it is rare, this does exist from some agencies. Also, live with a friend or family member first to build up your savings. Read Macomb County assistance programs.