No local assistance available - really bad situation

Help with paying other bills, assistance, or anything else you may need or want to discuss.
D&M's Momma
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

No local assistance available - really bad situation

Post by D&M's Momma »

My family is in a rough situation. On 4/16, my younger brother either took his own life or was murdered. Not been a good month at all.

I've been to any local organizations that might be able to help but I end up going in endless circles.

I am on SSDI with a 5 year old to support alone. Our budget was super tight as it was and now my mother & her 2 little dogs have moved in with us. I was already looking for a handicap accessible apartment (recently ordered to use a power chair) and I found the perfect place and I can get a unit with 3BR and 2BA. This will allow all of us to have a room and some privacy as well.

Anyway, between driving back and forth between my home and my brother's, trying to assemble the funds to get moved, and a trip to WV to spread his ashes at my uncle's farm, I'm fighting to keep my head above water.

I've even overdrawn my checking account by $1300 as the manager at my bank suggested. However, this is just a bandaid fix. When my SSDI comes in next month, it will be gone to cover the overdraft.

Somehow, I've got to come up with $450 to cover the rest of the mortuary fees, $670 for first month's rent at the new apartment so they'll hold it for me until my current lease expires on 6/30 (I paid 6 months rent in advance so June's rent is covered), enough money to travel to WV and back to TN over Memorial Day Weekend (1,000 mile round trip), 3 nights in motel rooms, gasoline (yikes), and any incidentals. We're taking food with us so we save money there but it still does not compute. The mortuary fees and the first month's rent alone are $1120. This leaves me with $180 to cover the rest of it. The cherry on the sundae is mom has NO clothes. She never goes anywhere so she's got 3 pair of pants and 4 shirts. That's it.

Next month I'll have to come up with $350 for the pet deposit, whatever it will cost to move, $200 in legal fees for custody battle in KY(long story), a yet to be negotiated payment to my TN divorce attorney to get away from my abusive ex-husband, dr. copays and prescriptions for us all, $350 deposit to electric company, and $150 towards a washer/dryer set that I bought from a friend. All of this has to somehow come from mom's SSI and the SS my son receives because of my disability. They total $1005. Still gonna be way, way in the red.

I've been trying to sell anything I can on Craigslist but I've not had a whole lot of luck.

My situation is so far out of the norm that, while every agency I approach is sympathetic, my situation isn't something they can help with.

I do receive assistance with the electric bill thru LIHEAP but I haven't gotten an answer as to whether those funds are transferrable to the new electric company or not. I receive $58/month in food stamps (my income is too high????) and mom will receive them starting next month but the amount is yet to be determined pending an interview with DHS. Not to sound ungrateful but I need cashola right now way more than food stamps!

I know this novel I've written sounds like a pity party but I simply don't know where to turn. Does anyone out there have any ideas?

The last option I can come up with is to get a title loan on my car but that's a really bad idea. Wouldn't get enough and impossible to pay back.

Help!!! Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
Danny

Re: No local assistance available - really bad situation

Post by Danny »

I need help with a lot of things. My husband left me last month and stopped providing for me and my two kids.. I need help with clothes for my kids, food, help paying my bills, furniture, finding a home, and paying rent. I have no income and my bills are going to get shut off. I actually have 24 hours to pay my electric bill with Cleveland Public Power and can't find anybody to help me with that. Please help me with everything you can with resources. Thank you very much. I live in Cuyahoga County and assistance is hard to find.
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Post by Admin »

The Ohio area has been hit card by the economic crisis, including Cleveland Ohio. Demand for services is high, but some places may still have some funding from time to time. All you can do is call around and keep asking different agencies and non-profits for help. Assistance for bills in Cuyahoga County is available from a combination of government programs and non-profits.
Some examples may be Lakewood Christian Service Center (call them at (216) 226-6466) or the Cleveland Based Emerald Development and Economic Network, which can be reached at (216) 961-9690.
Danny wrote:I need help with a lot of things. My husband left me last month and stopped providing for me and my two kids.. I need help with clothes for my kids, food, help paying my bills, furniture, finding a home, and paying rent. I have no income and my bills are going to get shut off. I actually have 24 hours to pay my electric bill with Cleveland Public Power and can't find anybody to help me with that. Please help me with everything you can with resources. Thank you very much. I live in Cuyahoga County and assistance is hard to find.
Skyler

Post by Skyler »

I am 30 yrs old and have to children, one is 5 and a half, the other is 1 and a half. I have been trying very hard through the county to get assistance with rent, cash assistance to afford to go back and forth to work, and assistance for daycare. I just started a job last week but am only making 7.25 an hour and am not able to make ends meet as far as daycare, rent and basic needs. I have been fortunate enough to get some food assistance through Channel One and the WIC program but am still struggling. It has been very frustrating but am trying to keep my head up during these times. The mother of my children is currently in a rehabilitation facility and is not able to make any child support payments. I am very humble and am taking everything as best as I can but it has been extremely hard. If there is anyone that can help or any advice to be given it would be greatly appreciated.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Well, at least you got a job and are trying to make ends meet. Much better than most. We can provide phone numbers and agency names, but you need to call and see how they can help you in your situation. There are some places to call in the Charlotte NC area for help with bills, rent, debts, food, and much more. Find Mecklenburg financial assistance programs and resources to make it through a difficult time. Be sure to try calling the number one non-profit, the Crisis Assistance Ministry at (704) 371-3000.
Skyler wrote:I am 30 yrs old and have to children, one is 5 and a half, the other is 1 and a half. I have been trying very hard through the county to get assistance with rent, cash assistance to afford to go back and forth to work, and assistance for daycare. I just started a job last week but am only making 7.25 an hour and am not able to make ends meet as far as daycare, rent and basic needs. I have been fortunate enough to get some food assistance through Channel One and the WIC program but am still struggling. It has been very frustrating but am trying to keep my head up during these times. The mother of my children is currently in a rehabilitation facility and is not able to make any child support payments. I am very humble and am taking everything as best as I can but it has been extremely hard. If there is anyone that can help or any advice to be given it would be greatly appreciated.
Macro15

Post by Macro15 »

I know you probably don't help with what I am in desperate need of, but I am just hoping that someone can help me find
the right club or organization to help me as no local group seems to be able to. For years I was in the position to help others and trust me I did from
helping people in a tri-plex that was burnt to the ground get back on their feet with doing the leg work for them to
paying peoples insurance and giving food, you name it if I could help I did.
Now I am on disability living month to month on a shoe string budget and cant seem to find anyone to help. I have a hole in my roof and a few more really bad spots and am in desperate need of a roof. My kids said they would help and could help with a few hundred but they are not rich either.
I paid my house off to be able to make it on my disability income and its a nice double wide. But if I
don't get this fixed ASAP it wont be nice anymore. I can't afford payments of anything more than 50.00 a month. I don't
have TV or internet at home because I live on that tight of a budget. I called a roofer and he looked at it and said he
could do it for 3000.00 who has 3000.00 these days. When I was working sure no problem. I don't qualify for grants
because I am not 62 or older. I am only 49.
I live by myself and have no clue where to turn for help. I make $1230 a month and my Medicare is taken out of that and so is my car payment, insurance, cell bill, power, water, garbage, medicine, doctor visits, gas and food. Please if some knows of anyone that can help.