Student loan help

Help with paying other bills, assistance, or anything else you may need or want to discuss.
f12
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Student loan help

Post by f12 »

I live in Indiana and am worried about student loans. Pretty much all of my undergrad loans are paid off except for $2000. I am working on my Masters in Social Work and have 2 classes this semester, then one class and 2 internships. I work 2 jobs(social worker full time and waitress PT). I still barely clear $30,000 and really don't have much money left to save to put towards my loans. They are currently deferred until I finish school but are accumulating interest. I did not qualify for any grants and there are not many scholarships available for Masters of Social Work in Indiana. I have tried to take out only what I needed but when I first started I didn't understand the types of loans and made the mistake of taking out a Plus loan which is high interest. Can you please tell me who I can talk to for some advice and on your website it says if you work with the impoverished or early intervention, you may qualify for help paying on your loans but there is not contact information to talk to someone. Thanks for your help!
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Student loan help

Post by Admin »

Were you referring to this link on your student loan information?
http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/fin ... dent_.html
Deferring the loans is always a great approach, as you indicated that can reduce your interest rates and save you money. Yes if you work with the impoverished in a government type job, in those cases you can often get your interest or even the entire loan waived. Government realizes these lower paying jobs can't totally eliminate loans.
f12 wrote:I live in Indiana and am worried about student loans. Pretty much all of my undergrad loans are paid off except for $2000. I am working on my Masters in Social Work and have 2 classes this semester, then one class and 2 internships. I work 2 jobs(social worker full time and waitress PT). I still barely clear $30,000 and really don't have much money left to save to put towards my loans. They are currently deferred until I finish school but are accumulating interest. I did not qualify for any grants and there are not many scholarships available for Masters of Social Work in Indiana. I have tried to take out only what I needed but when I first started I didn't understand the types of loans and made the mistake of taking out a Plus loan which is high interest. Can you please tell me who I can talk to for some advice and on your website it says if you work with the impoverished or early intervention, you may qualify for help paying on your loans but there is not contact information to talk to someone. Thanks for your help!
LizziStev

Post by LizziStev »

I am a college student right now. I am in desperate need of assistance to pay my rent, student debts and utilities. My rent is coming up due, and I've tried asking family and friends for help, but no one can help me. I can't lose my house, because I don't want to be homeless. Please help me. Help paying my back rent so I do not get evicted. I have 3 children and I am married. Husband has been out of work for about 8 months. Has applied for unemployment but we are still waiting after almost 8 weeks for someone to call and talk to him. I need help and do not know where to turn!
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

So many students have outrageous amounts of student loans these days. The main site does have information and suggestions on how to deal with them. Find how to pay off student loans. You can consolidate the loans, defer the payments to later, or look into certain jobs that will in effect eliminate your loans. Typically for teachers and other public sector type workers and jobs.
LizziStev wrote:I am a college student right now. I am in desperate need of assistance to pay my rent, student debts and utilities. My rent is coming up due, and I've tried asking family and friends for help, but no one can help me. I can't lose my house, because I don't want to be homeless. Please help me. Help paying my back rent so I do not get evicted. I have 3 children and I am married. Husband has been out of work for about 8 months. Has applied for unemployment but we are still waiting after almost 8 weeks for someone to call and talk to him. I need help and do not know where to turn!
Times

Post by Times »

Hello-
I graduated from grad school about a year and a half ago. My masters degree is in health care management and I am currently working in Physician Practice Management. I started paying back my loan for the first time this month and the payments really eat into my budget. It barley leaves me any room to plan for retirement. I am now27 years old and this is something I really need to be focused on now. My total school debt is around $74, 000 (I only make $65,000 and I live in Boston). Although I know this is a relatively small amount compared to what some owe is student loans, I really feel like I'm drowning. Are there grants available to people like me? Any assistance or guidance is greatly appreciated. Thank you. Best,
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Not really grants, but if you do some non-profit work for government, then you can get some student loan debt eliminated. Of course this may involve changing your current profession for a period of time. You can read more on student loans here. Also maybe talk to your lender about options such as Income Sensitive/Based Repayment, which means you pay back so much each month based on your income. So there are some things that students can do, but there is no easy magic button to press for help. Consolidate too with interest rates being so low.
Times wrote:Hello-
I graduated from grad school about a year and a half ago. My masters degree is in health care management and I am currently working in Physician Practice Management. I started paying back my loan for the first time this month and the payments really eat into my budget. It barley leaves me any room to plan for retirement. I am now27 years old and this is something I really need to be focused on now. My total school debt is around $74, 000 (I only make $65,000 and I live in Boston). Although I know this is a relatively small amount compared to what some owe is student loans, I really feel like I'm drowning. Are there grants available to people like me? Any assistance or guidance is greatly appreciated. Thank you. Best,
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

I owe about $19,000 on two defaulted student loans and i need about $2,000 to do a student loans rehab program that removes the default status from both of the student loans and then i can qualify for financial aid to go back to school at a city college that i started and for the 2010 fall semester i could not get financial aid so now i also owe $926 on top of the defaulted student loans. Where can i get financial help to pay those bills so that i can go back to school?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Student loans you often can't eliminate in bankruptcy, so that can be a problem. The good news is Obama and the federal government are trying to create more programs for college students that limit loan payments. But in the meantime, read about various student loan assistance programs, and what may be able to help you with those $19,000 loans.
Morgan wrote:I owe about $19,000 on two defaulted student loans and i need about $2,000 to do a student loans rehab program that removes the default status from both of the student loans and then i can qualify for financial aid to go back to school at a city college that i started and for the 2010 fall semester i could not get financial aid so now i also owe $926 on top of the defaulted student loans. Where can i get financial help to pay those bills so that i can go back to school?
LizziStev

Post by LizziStev »

Hi, I was wondering if you could help. I have a giant student loan of 48,000 to pay off but barely make it pay check to pay check. I graduated in 2013 with a BAS in criminal justice. I read on your website that if you work as a correction officers there may be some help available. I see the paragraph include as an attachment. I work as a full time correction officers for a county in the state of Pennsylvania, I have worked there for two years now. Thank you!