Lost home in a tornado

Find how to get help with rent
Maryannbernaz
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Lost home in a tornado

Post by Maryannbernaz »

I am 24 and my mama and I lost our home in the April 2011 tornado and we are still rebuilding. Yes you might say that we aren't finished yet, we have had a Couple of setbacks. My mama is 48 and she has early signs of COPD. She has asthma, migraine headaches, 3 bulging disks in her neck which makes it hard to work on our home. My mama is my rock but right after the tornado happened I lost my dad’s mom who lives in Ohio and then my best friend the same day, June of 2012.
We found out my mamas mom had stage 4 cancer. She has had cancer 3 times all advanced stages but now is cancer free but has to do chemo every month to stay cancer free. We are building our house, our-self because we don't have much money. My mama is disabled but does as much as she can we had a group from Connecticut volunteer to help frame our home. I found out today my daddy has the same kind of cancer. My granny had he lives in Ohio. I have ADHD and a learning disability but I know if there is any help or funds for people impacted by a tornado. I know that would help my mama and I to get our heating and cooling put in and duct work bought.
shawrah
anti spam: Blue

Re: Lost home in a tornado

Post by shawrah »

Hi-
Ever since I was diagnosed with MS, I have had trouble keeping a job. My husband 62, IS working but not enough to justify even a leaking roof repair that was damaged on our home from a tornado.
Between my illness and his lack of funds, a few things have been put off.
We need a roof repair ASAP! It's leaking into my sons bedroom from the tornado damage. The estimate was $1500.00!! We don't have that!
Can someone help? We need a whole new roof, but don't expect THAT! Our battery powered sump pump isn't working correctly and had 3' of water yesterday. Our windows are falling apart! I have never ever lived like this but the MS has taken a toll!
Can you help?
Please? It's starting to rain AGAIN! There was a tornado 2 days ago 5 minutes from here in which other people lost their homes too. This roof is really hurting!!!
Thank you for your help, thank you for whatever help you can provide!
Leslie
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Lost home in a tornado

Post by Admin »

Hi both messages above,
So tragic, and sorry for the loss of your home(s) and possessions. Generally FEMA and your local government should have information on what to doo. Of course also look into insurance claims, etc. But for short term help from a tornado, generally the American Red Cross and Salvation Army have disaster relief programs. Locate help from a Salvation Army in your community.