Is section 8 housing even really possible?

Find how to get help with rent
Jane Luv
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Is section 8 housing even really possible?

Post by Jane Luv »

I was wondering if you could help me understand how the Section 8 program works. Is it even possible to get a house, or is it a myth? I am disabled and on SS Disability and applied for low income rental assistance in Sharp County, Arkansas. I lived in Texas at the time and filled out the paperwork because I wanted to move back to where I grew up.
I tried to find out what the rent limit was. I was told I would have to pay 30% of my income and there would be a utility allowance but they didn't know how much until I found a house. It was only me and I was told I would probably be able to find a 2 bedroom house, and they would go over the utility allowance, and the price range I could rent in, when my name came up and I met with the person for an orientation.
Once my name came up on the section 8 list, they let me know so I rented a YOU-Haul truck and moved all my stuff up from Texas to Arkansas and put my stuff in storage. I went in for the orientation. Got a voucher and was told that I made too much money to get a utility allowance and since there was only one person, I couldn't go over $480 a month for rent and utilities. Well, there wasn't any 1 bedroom houses for rent and 2 bedroom houses started around $500 for rent only.
I asked what the cut off limit was for a utility allowance but I never got an answer. One lady seemed offended when I was asking how things are calculated and said, "we go by what's in the system, I don't just pull the figures out of thin air."
Anyway, can you explain how the utility allowance works and how it's based on income? How does section 8 work? Is it a scam?
Also, my sister is disabled and has been trying to get approved for SSI but only has an income of $200 a month and 1 minor child. She applied for Section 8 in Independence County, Arkansas and was approved for a 2 bedroom house or apartment. Her rent limit was $435 (which was less than mine for a 1 bedroom and the town she lives in is much larger then where I applied for and only about 45 miles away) and she got a utility allowance for $107. My sister looked around but couldn't find anything in that price range. When she told the HUD lady she couldn't find anything, the lady told her to call the real estate companies to see if there were any apartments for rent. My sister called but they too were more than she was allowed.
I called the lady in charge of the HUD low income housing (Shawna Baxter in Batesville, AR) and asked why my sisters’ allowance was lower than mine and that I had been approved for a one bedroom. She told me the rent limit was based on income too. She said I could make an appointment and come in and talk to her but when I told her it was for my sister she told me if she had any questions that she would have to come in and talk to her.
Can you please educate me on how the rent limits are based on income and at what point they would go up to match the 90% of the fair market rent for that area?
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Is section 8 housing even really possible?

Post by Admin »

Of course section 8 is possible. But of course it is under very high demand and there is a wait list. As resources in life are limited....otherwise no one would ever work or provide for themselves if the government just gave "free" or low cost everything. Anyhow, here are some tips on finding low income section 8 housing.
Carla

Post by Carla »

I live in Cass County, and need to sign up for sections 8. My name is Rebecca, home address Queen City, Texas 75572. A My landlord is will to except section 8. I am disabled and have applied for my disability already. Was told by SS Office, I will get my answers by March 16th. Seems not even possible to ever get section 8.
I am going to become homeless with help. Please help me, and let me know what I need to do. So I might be able to sign up for section 8,or any other assistance possible. I greatly appreciate your help. I did sign up for community help but was told, they couldn't help. Due to my income. I am only allowed to work 20 hours a week with many limitations from doctors. I do receive food stamps, and utility assistance. I have to reapply next month for my utility assistance. Due to it lose our this month. I am grateful for any help. God Bless
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Hi,
My name is Carol, and I am asking for help to pay bills and also information on section 8 housing for low income without waiting list if that is even possible. I have already applied for Public Housing in ( Montgomery County) in PA. I am a 61 year old female on Social Security Disability for the past year and a half. I was laid off due to the Pandemic which started in January, (2020). I have a severe case of (COPD) which limits my physical activities. I live with my 39 year old daughter in an apartment in ROYERSFORD, PA.
She is a CNA for the Southeastern Veteran’s Center, which is State run. Shannon pays the majority of the bills, Rent, and utilities. I help with some of bills, (Car Payment) which is extremely high but I need it to take her to work. I contribute toward car insurance and food. My main debt right now, besides car payment, is my previous bank account. I have a negative balance and it keeps rising when there are transactions denied. I am really overwhelmed because I can’t close account till I pay it off. It is so frustrating because the amount is more than my ($503) car payment. I am so desperate for a section 8 housing (if it even exists and is possible) that I have been applying for part time jobs. I did get hired at Giant Food Stores but I can only work a limited amount of hours because it will effect my SSD. Please understand that I kind need financial help to help pay that bank account off so that they don’t increase the amount owed anymore. I would be very grateful if your organization can help me at this time. If I have to pay it back I can set up a payment plan.