SSD offset due to defaulted Student Loans

Find how to get help with rent
gothceltgirl
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

SSD offset due to defaulted Student Loans

Post by gothceltgirl »

My defaulted student loans were offset recently by the Dept. of Ed. I called to make arrangements for loan rehabilitation, unaware that the offsets would continue. My monthly SSD check is $974, reduced now to $827.90. My rent increased this month to $800/month, which is impossible for me to pay by myself. My income is too high to qualify for rental assistance from the local welfare office.

I called the Dept. of Ed. and they said that I had to fill out the hardship forbearance form in addition to the loan rehabilitation, sending them the necessary paperwork. As I’d already sent that in with my loan rehab forms, I recycled the paperwork. I am waiting for a new form to be sent, so the estimated time for this to stop is perhaps June or July.

My electric bill is rather high as well and I am unable to pay it. I don’t have enough to pay my Verizon bill either, and while I’ve been looking for freelance work that I can do from home, I am unsure now whether my internet will stay on. I have a disability and because of several limitations am unable to do my chosen work outside of the home or work early in the day.

I recently had a birthday and a friend gave me some belated birthday money, which is the only reason that I was able to pay my rent this month at all.
I don’t know where to look, or what to do for the next 2 mos. as this offset continues.

Please help me find something to ensure that I’m not evicted. I have a cat and I really don’t want to lose her. I can’t handle being homeless again.
Admin
Site Admin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: SSD offset due to defaulted Student Loans

Post by Admin »

Since you are on SSD, and need an at home job, you may benefit from free internet from the government. They have a few programs for the low-income, disabled and others if they need it for work or school (student). Look here for options on free government internet programs. https://www.needhelppayingbills.com/htm ... ccess.html
gothceltgirl wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:55 pm My electric bill is rather high as well and I am unable to pay it. I don’t have enough to pay my Verizon bill either, and while I’ve been looking for freelance work that I can do from home, I am unsure now whether my internet will stay on. I have a disability and because of several limitations am unable to do my chosen work outside of the home or work early in the day.