Feees for breaking a lease

Find how to get help with rent
Perry
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Feees for breaking a lease

Post by Perry »

Hello, back in February I vacated my apartment in WA due to domestic violence. I had a letter from the domestic violence services stating that WA state law permits victims of DV to break a lease without fees being due. Essentially I took a few days to pack mine & my 5 children’s belongings, and left in the night (2/4) moving back to my home town. I have received a few bills and fees from the apartment company, the most recent now saying I owe them $1,400. I am a single mother, just started working full time in March, got my kids in daycare for the first time, and then lost my job within the 90 day probation period. I have absolutely no means of being able to provide the apartments the money they are asking for and feel that I have no options except to most likely be sent to collections. I am reaching out to see if there are any other options available to me. Thank you.
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Feees for breaking a lease

Post by Admin »

If the landlord is trying to charge you a fee, your lease agreement governs that. Maybe the landlord can't in Washington. Since a lease may be unclear or complicated, maybe look into some form of free legal in Washington. Find them here. A number of options are out there for you. https://www.needhelppayingbills.com/htm ... and_a.html
Perry wrote:Hello, back in February I vacated my apartment in WA due to domestic violence.
Lertyou

Post by Lertyou »

Please I need help. I lost my apartment last year and been homeless since and I still owe fees for breaking said lease. Just last month I got a motel room but now I have fallen behind. I get disability of 783 a month and I am looking for part time work.  I do not know where to turn or who to talk to. I've tried churches here but there's not too many. I do not want to go back to the streets. Please help me pay the lease fee.
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Post by Admin »

Well, look into free legal in Oklahoma. Maybe they can go over your fee and give you advice. There are resources on free legal aid here for OK. https://www.needhelppayingbills.com/htm ... nd_as.html
Lertyou wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:56 pm Please I need help. I lost my apartment last year and been homeless since and I still owe fees for breaking said lease. Just last month I got a motel room but now I have fallen behind. I get disability of 783 a month and I am looking for part time work.  I do not know where to turn or who to talk to. I've tried churches here but there's not too many. I do not want to go back to the streets. Please help me pay the lease fee.