Rent Assistance - Chicago

Find how to get help with rent
sher1
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Rent Assistance - Chicago

Post by sher1 »

I need help paying my rent for May. I called CEDA who referred me to City of Chicago's 311 because they have a "short help" service which requires a Final Notice from the Landlord and proof I can pay rent after May. The problem is if they need a Final Notice thats mean I have to move in 5 days and I can't give them proof I can pay after May because I will be moving out of the apartment and not knowing where I will end up but trying to find a 1 room apt somewhere because I start on the Title V program in June. I am trying to hold on to what I got in my account but I've been waiting over a month for my food stamps letter after I reapplied on 4/12th and so far I got the letter denying medical and cash but so far no letter whether I got food stamps or not. This is so crazy and overwhelming for me because this is my first time doing this but I've been jobless for 15 mos and my unemployment has expired. Can you help me source all this out! I need help on my rent for May but can't furnish proof I can pay after that because I would be here after May. I have no caseworker for my food stamps so how do I know I have been approved.
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Rent Assistance - Chicago

Post by Admin »

Contact the Community and Economic Development Association of Cook County at (312) 795-8844. They have housing and rent programs.

Another option is The Alliance to End Homelessness in Cook County. This is a non-profit organization that is responsible for planning and coordinating rental programs as well as homeless services.

Chicago Catholic charities is another option. (312) 655-7298. They may be able to help, and at the very least refer you to other resources and government programs.

Here is more info on other Cook County assistance programs.

http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... ogram.html
sher1 wrote:I need help paying my rent for May. I called CEDA who referred me to City of Chicago's 311 because they have a "short help" service which requires a Final Notice from the Landlord and proof I can pay rent after May. The problem is if they need a Final Notice thats mean I have to move in 5 days and I can't give them proof I can pay after May because I will be moving out of the apartment and not knowing where I will end up but trying to find a 1 room apt somewhere because I start on the Title V program in June. I am trying to hold on to what I got in my account but I've been waiting over a month for my food stamps letter after I reapplied on 4/12th and so far I got the letter denying medical and cash but so far no letter whether I got food stamps or not. This is so crazy and overwhelming for me because this is my first time doing this but I've been jobless for 15 mos and my unemployment has expired. Can you help me source all this out! I need help on my rent for May but can't furnish proof I can pay after that because I would be here after May. I have no caseworker for my food stamps so how do I know I have been approved.
LaurenPossedion

Post by LaurenPossedion »

I'm a single mother with 4 kids that lives in the greater Chicago area and we are trying to provide for us. But it's getting very hard and I really need some help. Next week my landlord is taking me to court. I can't even pay rent and feed my kids. So now I owe back rent and been looking all over for help. So now I have to worry where I'm going to live when we get kick out on the street. I need to find help real soon. I can't be homeless. Thank you
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

We have created a page that focuses on offering information on rent assistance in Chicago. Continue. There are a number of charities, non-profits, and government programs which focus on both housing, emergency rent, and even utility and heating bills. Find information on your options and solutions here. Most of them are coordinated through the Chicago Department of Family and Support Services, phone 312-747-0500, and they have multiple locations around the region.
LaurenPossedion wrote:I'm a single mother with 4 kids that lives in the greater Chicago area and we are trying to provide for us. But it's getting very hard and I really need some help. Next week my landlord is taking me to court. I can't even pay rent and feed my kids. So now I owe back rent and been looking all over for help. So now I have to worry where I'm going to live when we get kick out on the street. I need to find help real soon. I can't be homeless. Thank you
Eli34

Post by Eli34 »

This past July 2011 I gave birth to my daughter who is permanently disabled. I am only 25 years old, live in Chicago, and just starting out on my own. I have fallen behind on the rent (2months behind as of Dec 1) and am behind on my utilities. I was laid off and my husband was fired because we couldn't find a baby sitter and he had to stay home and watch her. Now we are being evicted and have to appear at court Dec 15. I have tried to apply every where for work but I still have no call backs. On top of this all my 2 year old daughter had to have surgery 3 weeks ago. My husband needs dental work as well and fillings. Is there any help for me? What should I do? I kind of feel like throwing in the towel. Please reply will be awaiting a e-mail response.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

The city of Chicago and Cook County Illinois have a number of financial assistance and housing programs for families and individuals. Chicago has several home ownership centers around the city too. Take a look here, and scroll midway down for local programs and find more Illinois rent assistance programs and resources available for people of all income.
Eli34 wrote:This past July 2011 I gave birth to my daughter who is permanently disabled. I am only 25 years old, live in Chicago, and just starting out on my own. I have fallen behind on the rent (2months behind as of Dec 1) and am behind on my utilities. I was laid off and my husband was fired because we couldn't find a baby sitter and he had to stay home and watch her. Now we are being evicted and have to appear at court Dec 15. I have tried to apply every where for work but I still have no call backs. On top of this all my 2 year old daughter had to have surgery 3 weeks ago. My husband needs dental work as well and fillings. Is there any help for me? What should I do? I kind of feel like throwing in the towel. Please reply will be awaiting a e-mail response.
TCBad

Post by TCBad »

I am in the middle of an estate issue. My grandparents raised me and my grandmother died 3 years ago. I took care of her until she died and now my aunt has taken us to court in Chicago and has had me evicted immediately. I have nowhere to go as this is always been my home. I don't know where to turn or what to do. I need help getting into a place. Once I get in a place I can take care of myself.
AngelaM

Post by AngelaM »

I'm coming to you asking you for a helping hand towards my situation. I was calling around for some kind of assistance in Chicago for my rent. Myself and my wife loss our jobs around the same time in 2014 in July because of no transportation and our vehicle broke down on us. we are a young married couple and the beginning of last year we was blessed with a three bedroom home with reasonable rent price paying $470 a month but after losing our jobs all the bills ran up and now we are behind $2200 in rent. Two months ago I receive a phone call for a job at moto mart gas station in Chicago and so far its helping I catch the bus to work but I also caught up with my bills.
I'm reaching out to you from a friend gave me your information and number, so now I'm reaching out looking for help and I have my landlord information along with mines and writing this letter to hope get good news back thank you for your time. Our landlord is really working with us because she knows that we are good for it. We never was behind until the loss of the job. I need help making rent before I am pushed out into the streets. I graduated and earned my Bachelor’s Degree. I have not been able to find work in my career field, therefore I am working a regular job. Last month one of family members had a medical issue and I poured out all my savings to help them live.
Now the money that was promised to be returned to me isn't. After many prayers God has allowed me to forgive and move on, yet that still doesn't change the fact that I need a home to live in. I have been searching endlessly for a good paying job with my education but still have no luck. I am only 23 years old, my parents left me when I was a baby with my aunt. I never met my parents. I've always had a missing piece to me but faith has kept me strong. I just don't know what I would do if I lost my shelter. Please help me. Thank you so much.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

There are tons of shelter in Chicago, but they can fill up so you need to get on the wait list. Staying there will allow you to save money for that new house you are working at. Also, many of the shelters have job training, computer labs, and similar resources. They can help you increase your income so you can afford your rent in the future. Here is a listing of short term housing and shelters. http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... g_and.html
AngelaM wrote:Now the money that was promised to be returned to me isn't. After many prayers God has allowed me to forgive and move on, yet that still doesn't change the fact that I need a home to live in. I have been searching endlessly for a good paying job with my education but still have no luck. I am only 23 years old, my parents left me when I was a baby with my aunt. I never met my parents. I've always had a missing piece to me but faith has kept me strong. I just don't know what I would do if I lost my shelter. Please help me. Thank you so much.
Beamer1a

Post by Beamer1a »

Hello, I need help in paying my rent. Everyone that I have called tell me the same thing to call 311 in Chicago for short term help. I went to the King center in Chicago for this but it's not for people that in housing. According to your income but I lost my job and now I have back rent that I owe.
I can't pay have two notices and by the 15th of February he will begin the eviction process if I don't have $1952. I did my paper work since I lost my job rent did change October - December to 0 but in January it will go to 22.00 but I'm not sure if this will happen because I owe back rent. I just fell behind with that and other bills I don't know what else to do.
AnnetteMichael Jones

Post by AnnetteMichael Jones »

My name is Aaron Smith I live in Chicago, IL and I am in desperate need of help paying my rent.  I am unemployed (not by choice) and I have no income what-so-ever.  I am at the point now that I am depressed and saddened by the type of help that is available, but not really available if you don't meet certain guidelines.  Being unemployed in Chicago and having no income is hard especially in this day and time, so when people seek help it is not always given.  I need help a.s.a.p. I have nowhere to turn these programs want you to be employed in order to receive help, but if you are unemployed what do you do then just get evicted and become homeless.  What kind of help is there for me because I just don't know what to do I need help really bad....?
tara jones

Post by tara jones »

To whom it may concern:
Hello. My name is Nichole Smith. I live in Sauk Village IL. The county is Cook county and it is right by Chicago. I have never had to ask for help like this so I don't know exactly how it works and its embarrassing because I have to beg for help. I am a single mom and I need help. I lost my job in June 2020which was in Chicago. I have been looking and searching all over to find help with paying my rent. I lost my vehicle so it’s been hard for me to get around. Due to me losing my job I am behind on my rent because I cannot find a job. I am behind on July’s rent and now August’s rent. I have been trying to get a job but I am having no luck. I am really hoping someone can help me until I find a job so I don't lose my home. If someone would be able to help me find some type of rental assistance until I get back on my feet I would greatly appreciate it.
Thank you for your time and hope to hear from someone as soon as possible with information on how to get help with my rent in Chicago as soon as possible so I don't lose my home.