Find how to get help with rent
LaTessa
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Money to pay down the rent arrears balance

Post by LaTessa »

Good day,
I currently reside in the District of Columbia. I have a section 8 voucher. In 2010 I was ordered to pay back monies that I did not report such as my Unemployment, for which it was an honest mistake of not seeing that as income I had to report, in addition to my daughter who at the time resided with me and did not tell me that she had changed jobs etc. There was a period in 2012 when I was able to catch up on my payments, however, I've been unsuccessful at finding employment and my TANF benefits have not been enough to pay anything.
I went for assistance once and was told because "this is my fault" that agency could not help me. I have a thirteen year old son and custody of my four-in-a half grandson and we are facing homelessness. Are there any resources that you may be able to refer me to that can be of assistance, my balance is $2737.00.
Thank you for your time and I hope that you will be able to assist.
Maryannbernaz

Re: Money to pay down the rent arrears balance

Post by Maryannbernaz »

Hi,
I recently lost my job. I have a wife and two kids. My kids are ages 3 and 5. I am behind in every bill I have, and way in arrears on our rent. I am about to be homeless and we really all going to be on the streets because I am so fast behind in rent. If there is anything you can do to help it would be greatly appreciated, and thanks so much!
Baughman

Post by Baughman »

Need rental assistance. We were supposed to have a roommate to help cover bills but roommate backed out and now my boyfriend (23, mixed race, criminal background, no job despite many attempts, on probation) and I (18, white, no criminal background)
I am employed part time but have turned in a request for more hours, have not attended work in 2 days due to fever/nausea/vomiting/fatigue, possibly pregnant. Our rent of $600 is due August 10th. We have $100 set away now and I get another paycheck on the 5th but I doubt it will be large enough to cover the remaining $500. We also have 4 pets. Nowhere else to go. Please help.
Chris Klein

Post by Chris Klein »

Hi, I received your information from Elizabeth. She actually gave me the number for Portage, but their phone is disconnected. Attached is my Trustee approval and my food stamp approval letters. I need to pay the balance of my rent by this Friday. Right now, the balance is $477. I have a few requests out to pay the balance of my rent, but I have no idea if anyone other than the trustee can help me. Below is a basic outline of why I'm in my current situation. Any help you can give will be appreciated to pay down the rent arrears balance.
Much of my situation is due to health and mental health issues. I have problems with blocked arteries, a botched procedure in March 2020 that landed me intubated in ICU for a week with a stroke and temporary pacemaker where I still have some problems with vision, balance, thinking clearly, breathing. By the end of 2020 I was back in the hospital having the botched procedure fixed. By the end of October 2021, I was off work again due to mental health problems.
In the meantime, I've been in and out of counseling and on and off medication due to the lack of copay or no insurance. I have a very good work history, until the past 6 or so years, due to childhood, spousal and other abuses and what I say was mistreatment by my last 2 bosses, along with my health the past few years. Anyway, I ended up having some kind of Anxiety ridden breakdown. I was let go from work while on sick leave, lost my insurance, had to stop counseling and stop some of my heart and mental health medicines. Once I obtained HIP insurance, my unemployment ran out, and I got sick again with a kidney stone, infection and an aneurysm by my kidney, but because of having zero income, I've been trying to figure out what to do about not having rent, I could not follow up on my kidney stuff, or getting a new doctor for my medicines and I had to stop looking for work.
I began going through my belongings figuring out what I needed to live in my vehicle, heartbroken because I figured, I was losing all my belongings and my mobile home. I tried GoFundMe to help pay the rent arrears balance, which was a total waste of time. Then it dawned on me, if I'm going to lose everything anyway, I should focus on selling my stuff and maybe I could pay rent. Neither of my daughters can barely help me physically or financially. They have helped with groceries, gas and money, but in doing that they are overextending themselves.
My oldest daughter is hyperextendable, which means it's very easy for her to overextend her joints which can cause arthritis like pain, and she has Lupis. She was also hit by a semi and has a plate in her neck with acute chronic whiplash. My youngest daughter was recently diagnosed with a degenerative neck and spine disease (LSTVs lumbosacral transitional vertebra, Congenital vertebral anomaly, Hypertrophy, Arthropathy Multilevel cervical spondylosis Foraminal stenosis is the narrowing or tightening of the openings between the bones in your spine). So, I've been doing most of this physical stuff on my own.
I can't move in with my oldest daughter because she's going through a messy divorce, and I didn't want to move in with my youngest daughter because she doesn't make much money and I have zero income. But if I could stay here through October, that will give me time to straighten this place up, look into possibly getting hearing aids, new glasses, follow up on this kidney stone & aneurysm and work with the trailer park on selling my mobile home, then I would have some money to help pay my way at my daughter's while I continue looking for work. I hope I'm not sounding selfish, I'm off my meds and I'm losing everything I have, so it's easy for me to think this is my best option. I just need time to get to my doctors, get back on my meds and sell this mobile home (it's over 40 years old, but the money I could get for it is better than nothing).
Sorry, this is long, I just wanted you to have a basic understanding of where and why I'm in this situation. Thank you for looking into this for me
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

You are in Illinois? If so, there are programs for rental arrears. Each county, and the state, has option. Try rent relief in Illinois.
Baughman wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:32 pm Need rental assistance. We were supposed to have a roommate to help cover bills but roommate backed out and now my boyfriend (23, mixed race, criminal background, no job despite many attempts, on probation) and I (18, white, no criminal background)
I am employed part time but have turned in a request for more hours.