Served an eviction notice in New Jersey

Find how to get help with rent
Ahhdaddy
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Served an eviction notice in New Jersey

Post by Ahhdaddy »

My family (me, my three sons ages 2, 4 & 5, & their father) have recently been served an eviction notice. We've until June 10 to pay up (nearly $1200 after court costs), move out or appear in court. We have only one source of income and that is their father. We've no way to come up with that kind of money. Even if we did somehow manage that, we still couldn't afford the regular monthly rent ($450).
We desperately need to move to a new home in New Jersey but only have $200 to do it with. That's literally every penny we have to our names and half of that came from my mother. I know we would qualify for low-income housing of some sort or section 8, I just don't know if its possible to get the help we need in the time we have to do it. And to be honest I'm terrified were going to end up with nowhere to go. We need help. Please email me back because I just don't know what to do.
MDouglas

Re: Served an eviction notice in New Jersey

Post by MDouglas »

We got a 10 day eviction notice. We just didn't have a income for 4 months due to job lost. Now my fiancé is working again but I have a lot of medical issues and we have 2 sons 10 and 13 years old and the house we rent needs a lot of work.
I can't use my stove, washer or dryer because tenants before stole part of fuze box so a new breaker box is needed. There is also black mold in ceiling from toilet leaking and so many other issues. Please help us. We need help and can't afford to move in New Jersey and don't want to be homeless.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Yes, the housing in New Jersey is very expensive. Your best bet is to get more time from the landlord in your current home so you are not forced to move in a short period of time. Then slowly explore all your options, such as transitional housing, government funded homeless prevention programs, and other options. And of course get a new, higher paying job. So explore all of those resources as a form of homeless prevention, and get more details here. http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... ntion.html
MDouglas wrote:We got a 10 day eviction notice. Please help us. We need help and can't afford to move in New Jersey and don't want to be homeless.
Schaub

Post by Schaub »

I have an eviction notice...daughter's landlord will file against on or before October 18th, 2017. Daughter added me to lease but refused to sign agreement and send it back to landlord...her 10 year old son (my grandson) has been staying with me in this home and he only has one more month of school for the year.
Grandma is out of funds to help...daughter has moved in with abusive boyfriend across town...I helped her with her bills and rent, I am now out of funds and trying to find work.
ashley1

Post by ashley1 »

I'm on housing authority of Gloucester county in NJ for myself and was given an eviction. Can you give me information? I got laid off work in November 2016 but after I got laid off I applied for unemployment in New Jersey but I had a 8 week penalty for misconduct but I had claim each week for my unemployment.
I had an appeal hearing in January around 18. I won my case but had wait another 2 more weeks before they gave me my money. I then got in arrears andI won 1400. But I had pay back December arrears rent. I had pay 451 and when got my 190 a week still back arrears I need 1600 pay back most arrears now.
Even though now rent went 209.00. My unemployment ended in beginning of May with no extensions in New Jersey.
My income is 0 right now. I have no money until I complete program for GA for myself. In New Jersey I get 140 a month for me. I have no income to then go looking for rent arrears. I need help for right now or place that can for my landlords.
Marybeth

Post by Marybeth »

My name is Ibelis, and I came across your email in a preventing homelessness website. I currently live with my son and his girlfriend in Jersey City Heights and he and his girlfriend will be leaving and moving in on their own. We have to be out by November 28, 2020, being the latest. Although I'm currently working part time and collect partial unemployment and I just couldn’t come up with money to move into an apartment on my own with the first month’s rent, and possible month and a half security deposit. I've explained to my son that we don't have to leave because of the pandemic but he doesn't want to fight it and just wants to leave. I just returned to work three weeks ago due to the pandemic, and for the last 6 months they weren't working so I was paying the rent and everything else which is why I have no savings. Is there any kind of program that can help me before I end up living out in the streets? I work as a waitress part time and since I been back to work, I been struggling as is to come up with $600 a month plus everything else being it’s been so slow and we're no longer getting corporate guests that we used to get being the offices are closed right now in that area. I am currently on Medicaid as well if that helps. I called 211 and they gave me a few numbers to call and all of them told me they cannot help. One lady told me I have to actually be homeless to even be prescreened and then they may send me to a shelter. I can't be transported to a shelter because I do work so I may not make the time schedule being I work at night and do not have a car. I can't stop working because it's the only way I will be able to pay rent when I do have a place. Pease feel free to contact me if you have any other questions. I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
Iblis
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Hi Iblis,
Try an emergency rental assistance program in Newark NJ
Maybe they can help you with the back rent or other financial resources to stop the eviction.

Marybeth wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:28 am My name is Ibelis, and I came across your email in a preventing homelessness website. I currently live with my son and his girlfriend in Jersey City Heights and he and his girlfriend will be leaving and moving in on their own.
Iblis