Husband in military and we are behind

Find how to get help with rent
RedDog
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Husband in military and we are behind

Post by RedDog »

I am behind 3 months in rent and cannot seem to get caught up. My husband is in the military and our landlord is wonderful and has been very understanding but it's getting to the point where he has no choice but to evict us if we cannot pay this. I have 4 children and I am currently also looking for work but we all know the job market is not good. Please tell me how I can get some assistance.
Quicy

Re: Husband in military and we are behind

Post by Quicy »

I have not been able to pay my September rent. My Landlord is threatening Eviction. I was recently out of work for a few months. I have started a new job but it's minimum wage and I was behind on all my bills. My wife is disabled and I depend on a CPAP machine for sleep apnea to breathe at night. I am also a Veteran. Are there any programs to assist me? I only have a few days to come up with the money. Thank You!
Daniels

Post by Daniels »

In August 23, 2013, I had a heart attack and I was admitted into the ER where it was determined that I required surgery have a valve replacement. I'm also a disabled veteran and I receive Social Security Disability. But, I am in the Army National Guard in Toledo Ohio and I will be retiring in December 13, 2013 (projected date). This retirement date is a result of my several disabilities and I've been deemed "unfit for duty". I have done several makeup military drills but, my pay was incorrect and I did not receive full payment for the days that I've worked. This delay in payment has added to my inability to pay my rent on time. To this day, my military pay has not been corrected and paid out.
Janedoe

Post by Janedoe »

I'm currently transitioning to active duty Army from the reserves. Right now I don't have any money to pay for my rent because I haven't been working. I was working with the army on military orders for 6 months and that's how I've been paying the bills for me and my mother but since I'm now off of orders. I'm no longer getting paid. My report date for my active duty station is June 5 so I need help for the month of May then. Please help me any way you can I will greatly appreciate it.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

If you need just one moth of rent help in the Portland Oregon area, there are programs available. Also be sure to tell them you are a veteran, as they get priority or they can sign up for services such as SSVF. Bring a copy of the discharge orders too, as those can be helpful. Find information on Portland Oregon rent assistance programs.
Alessia

Post by Alessia »

Hello. I am writing this email reluctantly, because I definitely know there are people far worse off than us, but unfortunately my family has found ourselves in a position where I think I should at least explore options for help. My husband is active duty military, and I work a full time job. We have 3 daughters, a 14 year old, a 9 year old, and a 7 year old.
We have a lot to be thankful for but have truly found ourselves to have fallen on hard times. We live paycheck to paycheck and even that is barely, but we have gotten by. A little while back however, a couple things came up, a desperate need for new tires, braces for daughter, a large repair cost for ac, and a large vet bill, (cat was attacked and suffered deep puncture wounds and a broken back leg).
We have been doing the best we could, but these things have messed everything up. We had to use credit cards for gas and groceries, animal food, etc., and are buried in high interest debt. We manage to make the payments, and will dig ourselves out of that hole eventually, but we have also fell behind on a couple bills.
Our truck payment is behind a month, braces payment is behind 2 months, and I just received a notice that our electricity will be turned off if I don’t pay the bill. We are behind $1200, and I was only able to make a $400 payment, and even that has left me with $68 now and my family needs groceries, my horses need horse food and hay, I still have more bills to pay, we need gas to get to work, we don’t have any more credit on our credit cards for any of it, and I just want to cry.
My downstairs heat isn’t working and I don’t have the money to get it fixed or even looked at to try to fix it ourselves. Our house is so outdated and I know new windows would help with warmth, but that’s so out of the question financially. We have to put plastic on them every year. I can’t even afford to pay for my daughters’ school pictures and they keep getting notices that I owe them money. We can’t get a loan because of credit, and I have tried to sell things on let go and craigslist but no one is buying anything. Is there any help available for people like us, whose husband is in the military? I know that if we could just get caught up on our past due bills we could probably manage to maintain our monthly bills, provided no more unexpected bills come up. If not, I understand, but I don’t know what else to do.