SSI doesn't cover rent payments

Find how to get help with rent
Beagie
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

SSI doesn't cover rent payments

Post by Beagie »

I'm 35, single mother of two, disabled and collecting SSI. The amount I get once a month isn't enough to afford an apartment big enough for the 3 of us. I'm being "evicted" aka kicked out from my current residence (7/18/13). I have already paid my rent here for the whole month, which is about half of what I receive monthly. Which sadly, leaves me with very low amount left, but not enough for a deposit (if there is one)? Nor is it enough for other necessities. I have however, found an apartment complex in Dallas City, they're offer is rent a two bed apt, get first two months free. Not sure on a deposit. 2 beds start at $600 / month. 1 bedroom starts at $550 month and one month free. I get $487 a month on SSI. Still trying for disability. Apparently there's a glitch. Any ways, when I move out of my current residence, my SSI payments will become a little higher, not sure how much more, if I were to guess, I'd day $660-$880. Something around those numbers would be great. To receive higher payments, I need to have a copy of a signed lease agreement from wherever I choose to live, to show my SSI worker for her arrival. Now, to the point. I need help getting into this apartment, deposit, utilities, moving expenses, etc. Basically, what ever help offered would be great. I'm asking for help so I don't have to do the homeless thing again. I'm asking for any help you can offer to get us in and settled at this apt. Please, let me know if there's any way you can help me with this, as soon as possible. If there's nothing you can do for me, I ask that you please let me know (ASAP) and if you could, please provide me with information as to where to go, or who to call that can help. Thank you for your time in reading this. I hope to hear back from someone soon. Have a great evening!
Admin
Site Admin

Re: SSI doesn't cover rent payments

Post by Admin »

We can refer you to agencies in Dallas Texas. Usually they can provide a one time parital rent payment (if they have funding and you qualify) but everything else you are asking for (such as deposits, utilities, etc.) is very rare to get. But you can ask. If you have a good deal from the owner then do everything you can to make it happen....maybe a job, have a friend/relative move in, or take other steps to ensure success. Learn about our emergency rent programs in Dallas County. Continue.
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

Hello, I’m a single mother. My fiancé, not long ago, abandoned me while pregnant, and I recently had my son. I’m staying with my mother now, but I need to get my own place, I need to get into section 8 or some sort if low income place that'll go by my income.
Unfortunately I only get $67 a month from welfare, I filed for child support and SSI but I'm still waiting to hear back from someone. I used to receive SSI, so I'm hoping ill be able to get back on it. Things are really hard right now and I need all the help I can get. My car insurance at ABC is due on the 16th and I don't have the money to pay it and I cant be stuck in Sulphur without a car. I just don't know what to do. I've called every assistance place for help and nobody will help me.
Ashley

Post by Ashley »

I am the caregiver of my 100% disabled vet sister. I am 8 & a half months pregnant with 4 boys + one on the way & my own son. She was recently forced to retire a year early due to her inability to work because of her disability. I am also injured from 2 major car accidents & unable to work at the time. I will be able to return to work soon but as of now, we are drowning in rent & late fees. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated just to help us get current on our rent until her SSI & my job comes back into play. Thank you so much for your time in this matter.
Ginger1

Post by Ginger1 »

Hello, we have two daughters, we are in the need of some rental assistance. We have tried all of the places that we know of in our area but had no luck in the matter. My wife had gotten fired on the 20th of November, 2015, I receive SSI, SSD. We do not have any savings, our landlord is not willing to take part of the rent. Is there any way that my family, I may be blessed with some aid. We don't even have the money for any gifts for our girls. Thank you.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Why would the landlord take a portion of the rent? That would be insane for him/her to do that. Would you take a "portion" of a paycheck from your employer? Or since you do not even work we guess you can't relate to that. And you have the quite frankly nerve to ask for money for a gift when you owe back rent? Sorry...you need to change perspective, and quickly. In the meantime, look for rent payment assistance on our main site.
Ginger1 wrote:Hello, we have two daughters, we are in the need of some rental assistance. We have tried all of the places that we know of in our area but had no luck in the matter. My wife had gotten fired on the 20th of November, 2015, I receive SSI, SSD. We do not have any savings, our landlord is not willing to take part of the rent. Is there any way that my family, I may be blessed with some aid. We don't even have the money for any gifts for our girls. Thank you.
Nirvana

Post by Nirvana »

I have recently diagnosed with lung cancer and have had surgery. I am currently out of work and am receiving SSI until SSDI starts. Unfortunately I am only drawing $733 a month and my rent alone is $1000. My need is for assistance in paying my rent and utility bills. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated as I don't have a computer and am limited in what I can access on my phone. Thank you for your time.
Thomas1

Post by Thomas1 »

I'm a 63-year-old disabled man on SSI. My wife has mental issues and has been hospitalized twice last year. We have been living in a motel paying 950 a month. We recently found a 1-bedroom apartment for the same price and that includes all utilities plus washer and dryer, but we need first month’s rent help which SSI doesn't cover.
I receive 967 a month SSI my wife has filed for SS. She has a case manager through Jewish family services, and I have a case worker through Horizon NJ health care. We have applied for every kind of help. We need help with first month’s rent. Can you help me with this?
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Dear Sir/Madam,
I am writing to request immediate rental assistance for myself and my child. I am a widowed single parent with a disability who get SSI raising a child who also has a disability. I have been fighting a disability case for over four years now and simply cannot afford the rapid increase in the current cost of living.
As a full-time single parent without the ability to work, drive or bring in a regular income, I am struggling to make ends meet for rent on SSI only. Despite my best efforts to manage my finances, I am finding it increasingly difficult to keep up with my rental payments. I am now facing the possibility of becoming homeless if I do not receive assistance of some degree.
I am aware that the state and government programs offer rental assistance to individuals and families in need. I am reaching out to you in the hope that you can assist my family and me in this difficult time.
Any assistance for rent payment other than SSI you can provide, no matter how small, would be greatly appreciated.
I understand that you receive many requests for assistance, but I am hoping that you will consider my case. I am a hardworking and responsible individual who is doing everything I can to provide for my family. However, the financial burden has become too great for me to bear alone.
I can attach my disability case file and any other relevant documentation that might be required to process my application. Please let me know if there is any other information that you need from me to process my application.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I look forward to hearing from you soon.