A family of 3 about to be evicted and will be homeless

Find how to get help with rent
LizaF
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

A family of 3 about to be evicted and will be homeless

Post by LizaF »

Its myself, my parnter of nearly 14 years and our 12 1/2 year old son who has Aspergers Syndrome and is also an epileptic. We are both out of work with no job prospects in sight. Our lease was up this month and we did not renew it since we were unable to pay the rent. We owe for this month and now they are asking for October's rent or they will have a dispossery (sp) warrant and have us removed if we do not respond to it in writing or orally to the court.

We have tried all the local charities, we actually had St. Vincent de Paul people in our home to interview us for help. They couldn't help us. All they could do was pay part of this months rent and part of electric bill. Which would not help. We are in need of the entire rent and monies for our bills.

Since they could not help or have any suggestions other than try other charities, they left us with no hope. Since then our electricity has been turned off. We have been living in Georgia without any electricity for 3 weeks now. Virtually impossible to do especially when the temputures have reached into the 90's during the day. Our kind neighbor has allowed us to use her refridge. And other resources she has. Bless her for her kindness.

We do not qualify for TANF because there are 2 adults not working, it seems one of us must work to qualify for TANF. We do get foodstamps which is a huge help but does not pay for nonfood items like rent.

We have tried to get transitional housing but one of us work atleast 20 hours a week. There are no family shelters at the present but we are on a waiting list. Even if we do get into a family section of a shelter we can not be together because I am not married to my son's dad. That's insane, because we are not married we can't stay together in the shelter. We have been together nearly 14 years and have a child together!!

We are desperate for help. Any help. I even started a blog on begslist.org for help paying our rent and bills. I gave up since no one responded with any donations. Other beggars forums are paid only, it seems crazy to have to pay for an ad to ask for money when you are broke. I understand why they are paid servicies because of scammers so it leaves people like us out in the cold.

I have scanned the internet for resources when I came across this forum and thought i'd post too. It seems all the places I turn to are either out of funds or limited funding and will only pay a portion and only if you either have a job or will be starting one.
What do people like us do who are unemployed? We just fall into the cracks. Ignored and end up living in our car.

Noone deserse to be homeless. Ever. Regardless of your situation we all need and desire a place called home. Children never need to suffer because their parents can not provide for them. I love my country, The USA is a wonderful country and I am proud I am one however it stopped helping us when things got bad.

My partner worked for the Government for 11 years ago and took an early retirement, worst mistake he made since he can not find work. I worked off and on. Mostly part-time jobs that barely paid me to be there.

Where does one turn when all resources are dried up? Sorry I sound so bitter but I have been trying since last December to find resources to help (if we could not find work - which we didn't do) and I always came uph empty handed. Now we are going to be evicted 7 days after they serve us with a warrant or fight them in court. On what grounds?

Any advice, support, help would be of great assistance.

We live in the state of Georgia in Gwinnett County.

Thank you kindly and God Bless,

LizaF.
LizaF

Re: A family of 3 about to be evicted and will be homeless

Post by LizaF »

Oh and btw we did apply for Social Security for our son about 3 or so years ago and were turned down because we had 2 cars at the time. 2 old cars, mine was a 1999 Dodge Caravan in bad shape and I had to sell it because it was too expensive to keep and my partner's car is a 2002 Hyundai.

If anyone can answer a few questions I have it would be very much appreciated.

I have been reading other threads and posts on the forum, my heart and prayers go out to all of those in need of help. I was reading where it was suggested people apply for Section 8 - is it really possible to apply? When I try there is no waiting list in the state of Georgia. Is there a secret of sorts to get your name on the list in ANY state? I troed looking into it but came up with nothing. Or a I misimformed, Most information I get is inaccurate on most things or out dated.

We have foodstamps but do not qualify for TANF but my partner has a SafeLink
cellphone because we are on Foodstamps, it helps out a lot but they have very limited mins. I use a Virgin Mobile pay-as-you-go phone for 25.00 a month for unlimited texting, internet and 300 mins which is a lot of money but when you do not have a landline you need a cellular phone, they are no longer a luxury but a nessary item.
we also get heating assistance in the winter.

We just don't hagve money for our rent and other utilities, I was reading on another thread, a mother in RI wrote the power company shut her servie off and she has a special needs child. It was stated that it was illegal to shut off power if you have a special needs child. Is this a fact? We have a special needs child, he has Aspergers Syndrome, which is high functioning Autism and his has Tourettes Syndrome and is an epileptic. I wrotr our power company back in the begining of August when we first got the disconnection notice and I told them about our son. They ignored the email or never got it. The power was turned off about 3 weeks ago.

I don't know if it matters but we are using Jackson EMC and they are not regulated and don't have to abide by the same laws as other power companies do.
LizaF

Post by LizaF »

Okay, I got an answer to one of my questions, whether or not it was illegal for the power company to turn our electricity off, apparently it is not illegal and they can and will cut your power offm jackson EMC is not regulated and they do not have to abide by the sameaws as other electric companies, though even the regulated electric companies have ways of getting around the laws unfortunately and people die every day because they disconnect those who need electricity to surfive.

Very sad but its a fact of life. Noone really cares. People act like they care and offer advice but noone really helps. Not really. Most information I find is all outdated or inaccurate.
This is a really good forum though, it seems to help a lot of people I only wish there were other forums that helped people like this, especially in your own state that way you know. The information you get is correct.

Homelessness has nothing to do about class or education. Itcan happen to all of us. I have some college and my partner graduated with a BS in Business Management. We both worked most of our lives and we just fell on a lot of bad times. We sold 2 houses within 5 years of each other. One in 2004 we had to sell, money was getting really tight and the 2nd time we took a huge hit selling, we sold it 30,000 less than what it was worth so we wouldn't foreclose. We are paying for it now. We had a little money from the sale but when you can't find work to replace the money you use to pay rent, utilities and bills you run out. we really didn't spend the money other than on rent and bills. Fixing up the car, maybe getting stuff for our son's birthday and Christmas other than that my partner does an awesome job managing our money. When we had it. We had over $2000.00 of our money stolen, which is what pretty much put us in the hole. I hope who ever stole it needed it more than we do right now. Now we have absolutely nothing save what my partners mother gave him, she is on disablity and she has Section 8, she got it when times weren't so bad and when she was living in New Mexico which made it easier to get.

I am just venting here.
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Post by Admin »

We do have a number of eviction prevention, housing, and rent programs noted on the main site. Gwinnett County happens to be listed here, so look into the agencies and programs noted, like the Salvation Army Gwinnett County Service Unit phone (770) 963-8802. Many others are noted. And of course funding is limited. No charity, government program, or person has unlimited funds. The most you can do is call around to multiple places, get on waiting lists, etc. And at the same time work hard to increase your income, as that is the only real solution.
LizaF wrote:Its myself, my parnter of nearly 14 years and our 12 1/2 year old son who has Aspergers Syndrome and is also an epileptic. We are both out of work with no job prospects in sight. Our lease was up this month and we did not renew it since we were unable to pay the rent. We owe for this month and now they are asking for October's rent or they will have a dispossery (sp) warrant and have us removed if we do not respond to it in writing or orally to the court.

We have tried all the local charities, we actually had St. Vincent de Paul people in our home to interview us for help. They couldn't help us. All they could do was pay part of this months rent and part of electric bill. Which would not help. We are in need of the entire rent and monies for our bills.

Since they could not help or have any suggestions other than try other charities, they left us with no hope. Since then our electricity has been turned off. We have been living in Georgia without any electricity for 3 weeks now. Virtually impossible to do especially when the temputures have reached into the 90's during the day. Our kind neighbor has allowed us to use her refridge. And other resources she has. Bless her for her kindness.

We do not qualify for TANF because there are 2 adults not working, it seems one of us must work to qualify for TANF. We do get foodstamps which is a huge help but does not pay for nonfood items like rent.

We have tried to get transitional housing but one of us work atleast 20 hours a week. There are no family shelters at the present but we are on a waiting list. Even if we do get into a family section of a shelter we can not be together because I am not married to my son's dad. That's insane, because we are not married we can't stay together in the shelter. We have been together nearly 14 years and have a child together!!

We are desperate for help. Any help. I even started a blog on begslist.org for help paying our rent and bills. I gave up since no one responded with any donations. Other beggars forums are paid only, it seems crazy to have to pay for an ad to ask for money when you are broke. I understand why they are paid servicies because of scammers so it leaves people like us out in the cold.

I have scanned the internet for resources when I came across this forum and thought i'd post too. It seems all the places I turn to are either out of funds or limited funding and will only pay a portion and only if you either have a job or will be starting one.
What do people like us do who are unemployed? We just fall into the cracks. Ignored and end up living in our car.

Noone deserse to be homeless. Ever. Regardless of your situation we all need and desire a place called home. Children never need to suffer because their parents can not provide for them. I love my country, The USA is a wonderful country and I am proud I am one however it stopped helping us when things got bad.

My partner worked for the Government for 11 years ago and took an early retirement, worst mistake he made since he can not find work. I worked off and on. Mostly part-time jobs that barely paid me to be there.

Where does one turn when all resources are dried up? Sorry I sound so bitter but I have been trying since last December to find resources to help (if we could not find work - which we didn't do) and I always came uph empty handed. Now we are going to be evicted 7 days after they serve us with a warrant or fight them in court. On what grounds?

Any advice, support, help would be of great assistance.

We live in the state of Georgia in Gwinnett County.

Thank you kindly and God Bless,

LizaF.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Most states do have laws that protect families with certain types of utility disconnections. Find your state of Georgia here.
http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/uti ... nnect.html

We also have many phone numbers of free legal aid too if you have questions or need a pro-bono attorney.

LizaF wrote:Oh and btw we did apply for Social Security for our son about 3 or so years ago and were turned down because we had 2 cars at the time. 2 old cars, mine was a 1999 Dodge Caravan in bad shape and I had to sell it because it was too expensive to keep and my partner's car is a 2002 Hyundai.

If anyone can answer a few questions I have it would be very much appreciated.

I have been reading other threads and posts on the forum, my heart and prayers go out to all of those in need of help. I was reading where it was suggested people apply for Section 8 - is it really possible to apply? When I try there is no waiting list in the state of Georgia. Is there a secret of sorts to get your name on the list in ANY state? I troed looking into it but came up with nothing. Or a I misimformed, Most information I get is inaccurate on most things or out dated.

We have foodstamps but do not qualify for TANF but my partner has a SafeLink
cellphone because we are on Foodstamps, it helps out a lot but they have very limited mins. I use a Virgin Mobile pay-as-you-go phone for 25.00 a month for unlimited texting, internet and 300 mins which is a lot of money but when you do not have a landline you need a cellular phone, they are no longer a luxury but a nessary item.
we also get heating assistance in the winter.

We just don't hagve money for our rent and other utilities, I was reading on another thread, a mother in RI wrote the power company shut her servie off and she has a special needs child. It was stated that it was illegal to shut off power if you have a special needs child. Is this a fact? We have a special needs child, he has Aspergers Syndrome, which is high functioning Autism and his has Tourettes Syndrome and is an epileptic. I wrotr our power company back in the begining of August when we first got the disconnection notice and I told them about our son. They ignored the email or never got it. The power was turned off about 3 weeks ago.

I don't know if it matters but we are using Jackson EMC and they are not regulated and don't have to abide by the same laws as other power companies do.
DTigers

Post by DTigers »

Hi , me an my friend stays in Marion North Carolina we are homeless. She is in the hospital at mission. I got a job in Marion at McDonalds. We need help getting a room. Tell I get my first check , are maybe just a week, she is working on getting her ssi, we tried in Marion no one will help , if someone can find it in their heart to help , I myself will be more than happy to pay you back.. thank you ....
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

We think we know where that is in North Carolina. Is that Macon County. If so, here is information on homeless and shelter programs and resources. In addition to SSI, which is a good idea, look into section 8 housing, and explore the other Marion charities. Read more.
DTigers wrote:Hi , me an my friend stays in Marion North Carolina we are homeless. She is in the hospital at mission. I got a job in Marion at McDonalds. We need help getting a room. Tell I get my first check , are maybe just a week, she is working on getting her ssi, we tried in Marion no one will help , if someone can find it in their heart to help , I myself will be more than happy to pay you back.. thank you ....
Sutherland

Post by Sutherland »

I am a father of two kids (1.5 years and 7 years) and renting a two bedroom house in a family friendly community. I was married but going through separation due to wife walking out. I am seeking rent financial assistance to avoid losing the home where my kids share a room and I stay. I am between work for I am contract working; however, I have a few jobs lined up next week that are steady so that I can become mentally stressed due to the separation and issues that have raised. I desperately need this home for the 3 of us, my kids and getting back on my feet. Please help I have an eviction notice to vacate today if rent is not paid. (-$917.50).
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Many of the eviction prevention programs do give priority to families and those with kids, so that may help during your application. They will not only offer that rent help you need, but as you said, they focus also on helping people get back on their feet. As they want to stop the cycle of homelessness. Read more eviction prevention programs.
SteveKerr

Post by SteveKerr »

Hi, We both together and she has 3 kids. Our landlord gave us a eviction papers. We have 2 weeks or before that to move. Otherwise we will all be homeless. We are why behind rent. We need help as soon as possible. Am disable and so is my daughter, she has a fear leaving the house. So it's hard for me to do it by self. So please e-mail me a fast as you can. Otherwise we don't have no PLACE to go. Thank you so much.