No income for rent due to cancer

Find how to get help with rent
PRLong
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

No income for rent due to cancer

Post by PRLong »

My aunt is stage 4 cancer patient and her landlord just raised her rent $200 more a month. Since she has bone cancer and can not work she is on SSI and with the limited money given this additional will make it impossible to live there. With no real income it is hard for her to really find another home at this time. She needs to stay close to the hospital so that she can use the med bus for her treatments and doctor visits. Is there a program to help her? Thank you so much. I am all the family she has so I am trying to help to avoid any additional stress.
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: No income for rent due to cancer

Post by Admin »

There a many charities that can help people with medical conditions pay their rent or other everyday living expenses. They include such national and local charities as CancerCare Co-Payment Assistance Foundation or the Mission of Mercy, Inc. (717) 642-9062 may be good places to call for help and support. We hope your mom with stage 4 cancer is OK. The charities for paying bills list can be found here.
PRLong wrote:My aunt is stage 4 cancer patient and her landlord just raised her rent $200 more a month. Since she has bone cancer and can not work she is on SSI and with the limited money given this additional will make it impossible to live there. With no real income it is hard for her to really find another home at this time. She needs to stay close to the hospital so that she can use the med bus for her treatments and doctor visits. Is there a program to help her? Thank you so much. I am all the family she has so I am trying to help to avoid any additional stress.
Bosch

Post by Bosch »

I am a single Mom with 2 children. I am disabled as I have recently been diagnosed with cancer. For the last year we have lived in an apartment complex for low income people however we were notified that our lease would not be renewed and we have to be out by Jan 31, 2012. We don't have a vehicle or any savings. I applied for housing through our Local Housing Authority Office as we had lived there for 3 years, We moved out in 2008 for medical reasons. I had to be near a larger Hospital at the time. I gave them written 30 day notice and even gave away 3 window unit ac's & my washer & dryer to others in need including one of the maintenance men that worked for the Housing Authority. They told me I qualified for housing & all I needed was my oldest son to sign the paperwork because he's 20. Now they say I owe them $158.00 from 2007. They can't tell me what it's for & the 31st is almost here & I'm afraid of being homeless for my kids. I asked the lady over the phone if I could somehow pay this debt in payments or after I move in even though I know in my heart I don't owe this money & she just says, "someone will call you back". I love my kids more than the world & I'm afraid for them. I've prayed about this over and over for guidance or a little help. I've always helped people my entire life. I pray a little help will come our way so were not homeless. If anyone knows what I can do to get a place to live, please email me some advise. With no vehicle & I'm weak from radiation, it makes things a little harder but my kids are my rock.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Did you know about the money from 2007? An previous communication that you ignored or contested? If not, I am not sure they can do that and expect immediate payment. Find information on Louisiana assistance programs. http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... grams.html
I would suggest you talk to an attorney. Many offer free legal aid and representation, even for government programs and issues like you mention below. And keep praying.
Bosch wrote:I am a single Mom with 2 children. I am disabled as I have recently been diagnosed with cancer. For the last year we have lived in an apartment complex for low income people however we were notified that our lease would not be renewed and we have to be out by Jan 31, 2012. We don't have a vehicle or any savings. I applied for housing through our Local Housing Authority Office as we had lived there for 3 years, We moved out in 2008 for medical reasons. I had to be near a larger Hospital at the time. I gave them written 30 day notice and even gave away 3 window unit ac's & my washer & dryer to others in need including one of the maintenance men that worked for the Housing Authority. They told me I qualified for housing & all I needed was my oldest son to sign the paperwork because he's 20. Now they say I owe them $158.00 from 2007. They can't tell me what it's for & the 31st is almost here & I'm afraid of being homeless for my kids. I asked the lady over the phone if I could somehow pay this debt in payments or after I move in even though I know in my heart I don't owe this money & she just says, "someone will call you back". I love my kids more than the world & I'm afraid for them. I've prayed about this over and over for guidance or a little help. I've always helped people my entire life. I pray a little help will come our way so were not homeless. If anyone knows what I can do to get a place to live, please email me some advise. With no vehicle & I'm weak from radiation, it makes things a little harder but my kids are my rock.
Malden

Post by Malden »

I have been recently diagnosed with stage 4a sqamous cell carcinoma; an extremely aggressive neck cancer that is growing at an rapid rate. Doctors prognosis if I do not start treatment immediately, I will die very soon. I am only 47 years old. All my money is going for treatment and not my rent.
My sister, brother and parents do not like my fiancé, so they evicted me from the home my siblings and I had shared for the past 9 years. I am currently disabled in addition to my recent cancer diagnosis and I am unable to start any treatment due to our situation with my family that left me and my fiancé homeless.
I want to live! But my options and time is about to run out. If there is anyone that may have any information that can help us we would greatly appreciate the help for our rent, so I am not homeless with cancer. We have nowhere else to go or turn to as my fiancé had recently been the sole caregiver for her senior disabled parents and could no longer care for them resulting in their placement in a nursing home leaving her and her 17 year old son homeless too. We have tried all we can but we will do anything we can to change our situation.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

That is sad that you family (brothers, etc.) evicted you since you have cancer. Also, why would your finance not work and take up the slack while you battle your condition? Let him pay the rent. As far as other programs for you, try this in order to get assistance dealing with cancer.