Help from Trade Adjustment Assistance.

This is an assistance program that was created to provide reemployment benefits, job training, additional unemployment compensation, and other services to trade-affected workers. The Trade Adjustment Assistance program offers help to workers who become partially or totally separated or are threatened to become separated from their employer as a result of a shift in production to foreign countries. Assistance can also be provided to individuals that have lost their job, or had a significant reduction in income, due to increased foreign imports in the industry in which they work, or what is known as offshoring.

In addition to the Trade Adjustment Assistance program, some states also offer job training and other assistance programs that can help with medical bills, rent, provide food assistance, and other aid. Learn more on state programs.

To be eligible and enroll in the Trade Adjustment Assistance program, a petition must be filed by a group of three or more workers, an official of the employer, an authorized representative of the union, the state dislocated worker unit, or the Employment Service partner. A TAA petition can be obtained at the US Department of Labor website.

Some of the assistance provided from the Trade Adjustment Assistance includes:

Additional Unemployment Benefits - Up to two years of extended unemployment benefits that can help pay bills and debts while the employee is searching for a new job. This funding is authorized by the federal government and program terms can change from year to year.

Job Search Allowance - The TAA program will provide help with transportation bills and needs for those workers who are not able to find suitable employment in the immediate area in which they live. For example, job search allowances, which can include cash grants and reimbursements, are available for workers who are trying to find employment outside their normal commuting distance.





Relocation Allowance - Cash grants and help for paying relocation costs are available for an eligible Trade Adjustment Assistance worker who finds permanent employment outside of the area in which they live. So if you find a job in a neighboring state, some additional assistance may be provided to you for your moving expenses. Of course there must be a reasonable expectation that the employment will be longer term and of a permanent nature.

Job Training - The TAA program also offers training so that workers have the skills necessary to find a decent job and reenter the employment market in as short a timeframe as possible.

Remedial Training - There are various educational opportunities and options for remedial training which may be taken or required in conjunction with some type of occupational training. Types of remedial training provided can include help with a GED, developmental math, English, reading, and English as a Second Language.

Health Coverage Tax Credit (HCTC) - The Trade Adjustment Assistance program also created a Health Coverage Tax Credit (HCTC) that can help pay health care costs, medical bills and associated debt. It is available for trade affected workers under all TAA and NAFTA-TAA certified petitions. Find additional ways to get medical bill assistance and free health care.

The program continues to evolve as well. Find additional benefits of the Trade Adjustment Assistance Program, and read about recent improvements to the program. More.





Additional job training programs

The federal government sponsored and funded Trade Adjustment Assistance Program is targeted at a certain individual whose job was impacted by outsourcing. It can also assist people who had their job transferred overseas. So unfortunately not everyone can qualify for financial aid or job training services from it.

However there are other options and resources for people to look into. Some other non-profits that can help people find jobs, or that provide free or low cost training include places like the following.

  • Goodwill Industries job training. This non-profit focuses on seniors, the very low income, disabled, and others.
  • Another option which slightly more inclusive is the Workforce Investment Act job training, which is a government funded resource and is administered by a number of non-profit organizations, including your local social service office. Clients can receive assistance with searching for jobs, career counseling, and access to other employment resources.




Where to apply to Trade Adjustment Assistance

Centers are located throughout the nation, including in most towns, cities, and counties. Your current employer may notify you of the program when your job is terminated. However, if they don’t, then you have two options to learn more and to apply for help from this service. Visit the site or contact your local community action agency.






Like this site?