Talladega County assistance programs.
Find everything from grants to help pay rent or security deposits to free food, medical or dental care, energy bill help and more. The main agencies to apply at for financial help in Talladega County (churches, charities, pantries, and the government) are listed below. Each organizations tries to offer some financial help to pay bills or other forms of support to the needy.
Talladega County First Family Service Center
This agency serves people who live in North Talladega County that need information or help. The non-profit organizations focuses on those people that need access to services, information, or referrals to assistance programs. If you contact the agency then the applicant will be put in contact with a counselor from the organization. Together, working with staff from the agency, the family who seeks help will then develop their own personal and financial goals and with the help of First Family they will be able achieve those goals over the long term.
Specifically, the center offers the following programs and services. Prescription Drug Expense Assistance, Comprehensive Information and Referral, and Job Readiness and Training are on site. Other resources from the non-profit include Parenting Education, Personal Finances, Budget and Debt Counseling workshops, or emergency Housing and Rent Payment Assistance. Call the agency at (256) 362-7254, or learn more.
Financial assistance and information
Low income residents, working poor, and the unemployed can contact the Community Action Agency of Talladega at (256) 362-6611. They are a great resource to use to learn about various government programs (federal and Alabama) and to apply for financial assistance for expenses. Some of the services offered include the following.
- Utility bill payment assistance - Funds and grants may be available for all types of utility bills, including water, gas, heating, and electric.
- Weatherization - Learn about and get access to programs that will help you conserve energy, and therefore save money on your utility bills.
- Job readiness and training.
- Learn about local food pantries and distribution centers.
- As indicated, they can provide people information on various programs, including government mortgage help and debt reduction and credit repair programs. Learn more on how to get help with credit card debt.
Food pantries - There are a few that cover both Talladega County as well as nearby towns. Charity organizations will pass out a box of groceries in a crisis, serve a meal, or maybe offer clothing and more to low income families. Click here.
Salvation Army Community Corp Center provides various social services and emergency assistance. The charity partners with agencies across Talladega County to coordinate resources. The services include the following.
- Senior care, including local rides from volunteers.
- Christmas gifts and meals as well as free back to school supplies.
- Free food from a pantry and emergency financial aid.
- Rehabilitation services and support for children.
- Many other assistance programs are administered as well. Learn more.
Low cost to possibly free health care
Merit Health Care offers services to low income people on a sliding scale. So your medical bill will be based upon your total household income. The clinic provides basic healthcare services, including treatment of common ailments as well as diagnosis, for low to moderate income individuals who are aged 18 and older. Services provided by the clinic are generally provided on an ability-to-pay basis for their medical bills. Call (256) 761-2955 to learn more or make an appointment.
Sarrel Regional Dental and Eye Center focuses its programs on children. Dental care is offered for children that have Alabama / Georgia Medicaid and care is available for children covered under BCBS ALLKIDS. Note that their health care services to children are free to those individuals on Medicaid. For families on ALLKIDS insurance, $5.00 is the largest co-pay per visit on extractions or fillings. In addition, children also receive two free cleanings and exams per calendar year. Dial (256) 315-4940
There are other Alabama community clinics that low income and uninsured Talladega patients can call for free or low cost medical care.