Free legal assistance and aid in Pennsylvania.
Pennsylvania state residents can get free legal advice and representation from several law firms located throughout the state. Lawyers from these non-profit firms will help people with civil cases, provide increased access to the court system, and in some instances empower individuals to solve their problems without legal representation through education. When it is needed, the client can get representation when they do need to go to court. They will ensure that the low income, senior citizens, and others have access to high quality, yet low cost, or free, legal services.
Attorneys from these law firms focus on several areas, including resolving landlord and tenant disputes, foreclosure advice and prevention, and helping with applications to public housing. Some of the firms in Pennsylvania assist with utility and heating service disconnection, license suspensions, consumer problems including foreclosures and sheriffs' sales. Many other forms of support can be arranged too.
They can also help with government issues. This can include denial or termination of federal or Pennsylvania government benefit programs such as welfare, Social Security or unemployment compensation. Some of the lawyers (or their staff) specialize in helping with filing bankruptcy, coordinate protection from abuse, custody, child dependency, assist with elder law issues, and they can even file divorce. Below find more information on who to contact for aid, and details on resources offered.
Legal programs to save the home
Find how lawyers can help you save your home from foreclosure or prevent an eviction. There are free services for families that rent as well as those that have a mortgage. Other housing type services offered include:
- Evictions from public or government subsidized housing in Pennsylvania.
- Utility and heating service disconnection can be prevented, especially during the winter or when there is a medical need.
- Unauthorized access to the apartment or entry by landlords or real estate agents.
- Mortgage foreclose defense and free foreclosure prevention assistance including bankruptcy in appropriate cases.
- Legal aid to deal with landlord tenant evictions.
- Enforcing legal protections regarding unsafe or unsanitary housing conditions, which is a requirement in the state of Pennsylvania.
- Assistance in dealing with predatory lenders or mortgages that were issued under questionable circumstances.
Legal aid for family or domestic issues in Pennsylvania
Some of the lawyers offer this service. Depending on the case, there may be some fees involved as many domestic cases are not handled for free. However this will depend on the applicant’s income as well as what exactly the Pennsylvania firm offers.
- Individuals can receive a full range of legal services from lawyers in dealing with domestic issues, family concerns, or issues that deal with the well being of the family.
- Child support, including delinquency or contesting/disputes. Many single moms in Pennsylvania may receive this legal support for free.
- Child custody cases and disputes in which a party in the case faces potential loss of custody either through actions of the court that were brought on by another party or by self help.
- Divorce and how to deal with separation.
- Visitation rights, and legal help with cases in which failure of a person to either modify or establish a visitation or custody order would pose a danger to a child who may be involved.
Financial cases and legal advice to help someone maintain their income
Pennsylvania clients can get legal aid for dealing with the following issues and concerns. These range from applying for federal or state benefits to addressing sanctions or termination of them.
- Unemployment compensation and the establishment of benefits when someone loses a job.
- Wage claims and medical issues or bills that may arise under the Family Medical Leave Act.
- Illegal debt collection calls and practices, either by credit card companies or medical debts. Consumers in Pennsylvania have many laws and regulations that are meant to protect them.
- Improper or illegal execution or seizure by creditors on personal property or assets.
- Income taxes and IRS issues. Receive legal support in fighting this.
- Lawyers offer helping in applying for SSI disability, SNAP food stamps, and other cash assistance programs.
- Debt counseling as well as debt collection defense help.
- Bankruptcy filing services include support and advice on bankruptcy when debt collection poses an immanent loss of home or other essential property.
- Foreclosure aid, such as mediation as well as negotiation.
- Job termination and severance. Learn your rights.
- Seniors in Pennsylvania who are collecting SSI or a pension and have a dispute on the amount or process.
Pennsylvania law firm contact information
North Penn Legal Services - Offers free legal to over 20 counties in Northern and the Northeastern part of the state, including Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Towanda, and other northern counties. Call to see if they serve your town. 1-877-9-LEGAL-0.
Laurel Legal Services - Provides free legal services, including advice on family, housing law, consumer and public benefits in Armstrong, Cambria, Jefferson, Clarion, Indiana, and Westmoreland counties Pennsylvania.(724) 836-2211.
Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania (LASP) - A non-profit law firm that covers the counties of Bucks, Montgomery, Chester and Delaware. Many housing issues are deal with by the paralegals from this office. Call them at 877-429-5994 to learn more.
MidPenn Legal Services - Attorneys from this law firm represent and provide legal help to the residents of Adams, Bedford, Berks, Blair, Centre, Clearfield, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Fulton, Huntingdon, Juniata, Lancaster, Lebanon, Mifflin, Perry, Schuylkill, and York counties in Pennsylvania. 717-234-0492.
Neighborhood Legal Services Association - This organization represents individuals and families in Allegheny, Beaver, Butler and Lawrence Counties. Whether it is applying for SSI disability or low income housing, support is given to low income clients. Call them at (866) 761-6572 to learn more about their legal assistance programs.
Northwestern Legal Services - This is a private non-profit corporation that is committed to providing free legal representation and aid to low income people with civil legal problems in Cameron, Crawford, Elk, Erie, Forest, Mercer, McKean, Potter, Venango, & Warren Counties. Contact them at (814) 452-6949.
Philadelphia Legal Assistance - They can be reached at 215-981-3800. This firm helps people in the Philadelphia area. Eviction defense, applications to section 8 housing, and access to SNAP food stamps are a focus. Another option is Community Legal Services. Residents of Bucks as well as Chester County can also try these firms. Learn more.
Southwestern Pennsylvania Legal Services - Provides free legal help and aid to residents of four counties in southwestern PA, including Washington, Greene, Fayette and Somerset Counties. (724) 225-6170.