Scotland and Pender County assistance programs.
The local government assistance office, the Pender County Department of Social Services, administers a number of services and resources. They include federal government assistance programs such as Women's Infants and Children (WIC) as well as Medicaid. Day care service is available for low income people because of special circumstances. In addition, various Child Care subsidies are available for lower income families who are employed.
DSS offices may offer emergency financial assistance and information on programs may be available to help low to moderate income families. They can get help as they locate resources and government programs for paying rent, funds for utilities and free food as well as deal with other types of crises. Apply for the government run Food Stamps program, which can help lower income families and individuals purchase food items and groceries. Burgaw North Carolina. (910) 259-1240
Brunswick Family Assistance Agency runs a host of assistance programs and offer various resources. Including the following. Shallote NC (910) 754-4766
- Emergency assistance, including clothing, clothing, grants and emergency financial assistance for paying bills, rental and housing financial assistance, utility and energy bill financial assistance, rent help, money for paying utility and heating bills, free and used or new clothing. In addition, a list of other Emergency Assistance is able to be provided for paying heating and utility bills, rent security deposits, or mortgage assistance, and one time prescription needs.
- Homeless prevention and programs to find homes for the homeless.
- Free groceries and food for families and individuals in need of help, and people can utilize food pantry program, obtain USDA commodities.
- The agency also serves as the county clearinghouse for information and referrals to other charities in Pender as well as government programs.
- Christmas and holiday meals and gifts.
Pleasant Grove MB Church - This location is currently a member of the Brunswick County Network of Churches and charity organizations. The church provides grants and limited financial assistance, funds for paying energy bills, utility assistance; a free food pantry as well as after school care. Calabash (910) 287-4141
Four-County Community Services, Inc. is the local community action agency for the area.
- Section 8 rent help - The non-profit Four County runs the local Section 8 Housing Program, which has been in effect and helping people of Scotland County and Pender North Carolina. Get a subsidy to help pay your rent.
- Weatherization - Contractors will perform a free energy assessment of your home, with the goal of identifying the most cost effective energy improvements that need to be performed on the dwelling. in order to save energy and money.
- Community Services Block Grant - A crisis program. Get counseling and information on grant programs and other ways to get assistance.
- Head Start Program - Educational assistance, food, and health care is provided to your children.
Call the Laurinburg based Four-County Community Services, Inc. at (910) 277-3500. Click here.
The Salvation Army is based in Wilmington, but the organization provides coverage to the Pender County region as well. The main program they administer is known as Family Services. A focus is on preventing homelessness, so if you are faced with an eviction or utility disconnection then emergency aid may be offered. Other services include holiday assistance, free food, prescription vouchers, and more. Of course the regional New Hanover/Pender Salvation Army will also offer referrals, advice, and even job training and employment programs. Read more.
Emergency rent assistance - Pender County families facing an eviction or that are behind on their rent can get help or free advice. There are churches, non-profits and other agencies to contact as well as local DSS offices. Everything from free legal aid from volunteer attorneys is available along with cash assistance for paying security deposits as well as rent. More Pender County rental assistance programs.
Southeastern North Carolina Catholic Charities - If you are struggling, unemployed, or need help, call this organization and its partner churches. Receive assistance in the form of affordable medical care, free food, financial assistance (for rent or energy bills), shelter, and more. A thrift store may have clothing, school supplies, and Christmas assistance for Pender county families. Other aid includes assistance with case managers on credit counseling, budgeting, and referrals to non-profits in the Wilmington and Scotland County area. Read southeast church assistance programs.
Clinics in Pender and Scotland County
Maple Hill Medical Center is a low cost medical clinic. They accept both private and government insurance, and offer care at reduced rates for low income. (910) 259-6444
Black River Health Center is another community clinic to call for access to quality, free or low cost health care. They are a local non-profit health service as well as a low cost medical and dental clinic. Call the Atkinson clinic at (910) 283-7783 for more information.
Also find information on other North Carolina community clinics.
Free food and groceries from local food pantries
The charitable agencies may not only provide free emergency food, but other support too. That may be clothes, household supplies, holiday meals or toys, and other programs in Pender County.
Full Circle Ministry-Food Pantries (phone (910) 352-2830) is a local food bank.
Mt. Sinai of Burgaw NC ((910) 471-1622) is another location to call.
Livingstones Tabernacle of Hampstead NC ((910) 270-0750) provides food as well.