Orange County New York Salvation Army assistance programs.
Using money from the Orange County Salvation Army thrift store as well as donations, the church based group provides the less fortunate help when they are faced with difficult financial circumstances. Whether it is a free box of food from the pantry, a Christmas gift for a kid, or school supplies during back to school season, that type of support and much more is usually available.
As noted, the assistance in New York is generally for more material needs such as clothes, hygiene items, canned groceries, etc. Anyone that needs financial help, such as for rent, medical needs, or utilities can still drop in at the Orange County Salvation Army, but the likelihood of the charity meeting those needs is much more remote.
Vouchers and in kind goods from Orange County Salvation Army
This is one way in which the church helps, and they can excel it is. Each of these assistance programs uses donations from the public in order to assist the less fortunate. The primary ways in which the organization assists is as follows.
- Emergency food pantry – The Orange County Salvation Army has canned groceries, fruits, dairy, milk, infant formula and other healthy goods in cities such as Newburgh.
- Angel Tree and Toys for Tots – Donated toys are given to kids at no cost to them.
- Back to School supplies – Gift cards, shoes, backpacks, uniforms, notebooks, and more is provided to students for the new year. There are also other charities to try, and find help paying for school supplies.
- Christmas and Thanksgiving meals, including turkeys and all the sides.
- Clothes are available in Orange County New York for work related reasons.
- A soup kitchen can serve a hot lunch on a daily basis to the homeless, single parents, kids, and anyone seeking a meal.
- The Orange County Salvation Army family store sells goods at a low cost.
Temporary financial help
The main use of this is to keep families safe and secure as well as to help clients get back on track to a more stable footing. The Orange County Salvation Army center may, from time to time, have some funding available to address a crisis. But those are the main priorities of any financial aid or cash grant given out.
- Shelter or housing – There may be funding for a partial rent or mortgage payment.
- Utilities – Families, seniors, or the disabled with a disconnection notice of their water, electricity, or heat may apply for financial help.
- Prescription medications – Vouchers can be provided by the Salvation Army in Orange County for serious medical needs.
- Employment costs – Everything from bus passes to free gasoline vouchers or a ride by Salvation Army volunteers can be arranged.
- Disaster relief – The Salvation Army steps up with food, water, blankets, and more.
- Educational and work attire, including supplies for school (such as vocational), work boots, equipment, laptops from a thrift store, and more.
Orange County Salvation Army Family services and case management
Since the Salvation Army will only help with short term needs, and they are always trying to end a cycle of dependency, the case workers will always stress employment, budgeting, and saving. This is another way in which the Middletown or Newburgh center steps up to help the underprivileged. The process may include some or all of the following.
- If the resident needs basics for their job, such as clothes or transportation to a local Orange County interview, this can be arranged.
- Resources for single mothers and fathers.
- Case workers can give feedback on how to best create, enhance, and improve a resume for a job.
- Adults or children can seek social services such as after school or day care, which frees up the parent to work.
The Family Center in Orange County is part of the larger network of churches in which the Salvation Army operates. Low income families, using the programs above as well as other referrals, may be able to get the support they need. Dial (845) 343-0821, or stop by 80 W Main St, Middletown, NY 10940. Another office is at 234 Van Ness St, Newburgh, New York 12550, or call (845) 562-0413.