Leon and Escambia County Society St. Vincent De Paul assistance programs.
One of the leading charities to call for assistance is St. Vincent in Florida. The “Vincentians” that are part of this organization are committed to helping the less fortunate, people faced with poverty, the homeless, senior citizens, and others. Various parishes and churches across Leon and Escambia County Florida are part of the group.
The organization relies heavily on donations and the generosity of people of all incomes who live on the Florida panhandle. The churches and conferences distribute material goods and aid to the needy. While limited, some financial assistance may be offered in order to help families meet their basic needs. It will help those people who are struggling to pay their bills and make ends meet.
St. Vincent can provide social services and emergency aid. This includes clothing and furniture, help with food, prevent homelessness by assisting with paying rent or utility bills, provide free or discounted transportation, and the charity can assist in many other ways. While funds are limited and can fluctuate throughout the year, they take on challenges of all types, and do what they can to help the people of Leon and nearby counties.
The charity organization works closely with several churches and parish based conferences throughout the Diocese of Pensacola-Tallahassee Florida. To give some ideas on the extent of their services offered, in past years the agency “spent” over 29,000 volunteers hours for the needy. Almost $400,000 was paid out just in one year for bills such as rent, utilities, food medical and dental aid, funeral expenses, etc. and more. Tens of thousands of In Kind services and material support of food, clothing, furniture and professional services was paid out as well to those who need support. All of this was done just in one year time.
Volunteers, who are called Vincentians, visit neighbors, low income and seniors directly in their homes. They are focused on preventing homelessness through offering rental assistance, food baskets, help with paying utility and cooling bills, and much more. Home visits are the basis of the Society of St. Vincent De Paul Society, and hundreds of people volunteer.
Other social services include Home to families requesting assistance, Homeless Shower Facility, Free Food Pantry, Meals, showers, laundry and ID's, Thrift Stores, and Cash for utilities, rent, prescriptions, etc. The locations of parishes are, in Pensacola Florida and surrounding region:
- 2200 W. DeSoto St., dial (850) 434-6615
- 3832 9th Ave., phone (850) 434-1456
- Catholic Church of the Holy Spirit, 10650 Gulf Beach Highway Pensacola, FL 32507, (850) 492-0837
120 Chief's Way, (850) 458-7700
- The Cathedral of the Sacred Heart, 1616 North 12th Avenue, Pensacola, Florida 32503, (850) 439-3057
- Co-Cathedral St. Thomas Moore, 900 West Tennessee St. Tallahassee, Florida 32304, call (850) 222-9630
- St. Dominic, 3308 East 15th Street, Panama City, (850) 785-4574
- St. Rita, 137 Moll Drive, Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459, telephone:(850) 267-2558
- Holy Name of Jesus and Christ Our Redeemer, 1200 Valparaiso Boulevard, Niceville, Florida 32578, main phone: (850) 678-7813