La Porte County assistance programs.
Financial assistance with rent, utility bills, and medical expenses
All of these towns, non-profits, and government agencies may be able to help low income and other qualified individuals with paying their rent, energy bills, and other expenses.
- Center Township Trustee, La Porte County Center Township Trustee, (219) 362-2736 Vary by Township.
- Washington Township Trustee, La Porte County Washington Township Trustee, IN (219) 393-5033 Vary by Township.
- Galena Township Trustee, La Porte County Galena Township Trustee, (219) 778-4932. Times assistance is offered will vary.
- Kankakee Township Trustee, La Porte County Kankakee Township Trustee, Dial (219) 362-2391. The types of aid provided will vary by Township. Call for an appointment or to learn more.
- Pleasant Township Trustee, La Porte County Pleasant Township Trustee, (219) 369-1167
- Salvation Army - La Porte Financial & Holiday Assistance, which is offered in La Porte Indiana and can be reached at (219) 362-7679 provides the working poor, low income, and other individuals with help for paying bills, prescription medications, rent assistance, and information on such resources as the Indiana foreclosure prevention network.
- Bethany Lutheran Church Financial Assistance runs a Rent and & Utility Bill Assistance Program. Interested residents can dial (219) 362-3312 or stop by to pickup application. They are available from Mon-Fri 8 am-4 pm.
- La Porte County Div of Family Resources runs the TANF program, and is based in La Porte Indiana. Call (219) 326-5870 Mon-Fri 8am - 4:30 pm to learn more.
- La Porte Regional Health Financial Counselors (phone (219) 326-1234) can advise people on how to get free or low cost health care, and other options such as how to negotiate medical bills. Learn more.
- Springfield Township Trustee, La Porte County Springfield Township Trustee, La Porte County La Porte IN (219) 325-0809.
- Catholic Charities of La Porte County (219-663-8417).
Food pantries, vouchers, and groceries
- First Christian Church Angel Food Ministries La Porte IN (219) 362-3017
- Food Pantry of Greater La Porte Food Pantry of Greater (574) 326-5342. They are open on Friday 9:00 to Noon.
- Good Shepard Food Pantry is another La Porte Indiana based distribution center. Dial (219) 778-9444 Mon-Wed 10am-2pm CT
- Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church Food Pantry & Soup Kitchen Michigan City. (219) 879-4382 Food Pantry: Friday: 10am-11am is run, and also try the Soup Kitchen: Friday: 11:30-1pm.
- Saint Mary of Angels Anglican Rite Food Pantry La Porte IN (219) 324-6169 Sun worship- 10 am except summertime
- Sacred Heart Catholic Church Sacred Heart Catholic Church provides food, groceries, and other essential. The church is located in La Porte Indiana, and dial (362) 362-2815 to get food and learn more.
North Central Community Action Agency, Inc.
This is the La Porte based community action agency.
Utility assistance - Energy bill assistance is available to households and renters who have had their utilities shut off, those people that are out of fuel, and aid is available for those who have received a disconnect notice from their utility or gas company. These consumers may be eligible for crisis assistance to help restore service, have heating fuel or oil delivered to them, or to help people avert a disconnection of their services.
Rent assistance - This program is available depending on funding to help low to moderate income individuals and families seeking housing who cannot afford to pay their security deposit or first month's rent to move in(must have a lease). Assistance may also be available to help pay past due rent that is 30 days in the arrears of your rent due to landlord. Find other ways how to get help with rent.
Heating bill assistance - This energy assistance program (which was formerly known as Project SAFE) offers assistance to eligible households to meet the cost of home heating and energy bills through heating months.
Government aid - NCCAA can help very low income families in La Porte apply for WIC or low income housing vouchers, such as section 8. In some cases, the resident may be better served by moving into a transitional housing so they can save money for a security deposit and also improve their overall financial condition.
Other programs offered include Women, Infants & Children Program (WIC), Neighborhood Centers in Michigan City, and Home Weatherization. They case managers from the agency can also refer clients to grant based programs to cover everything from heating bills to rent.
Call the North Central Community Action Agency, Inc. at (219) 872-0351. They are located in Michigan City, but also help La Porte families and individuals. Read more North Central assistance programs.