Kandiyohi, McLeod, Meeker, Renville county assistance programs.
Lutheran Social Services of Minnesota - This agency can direct qualified people to a number of financial assistance and aid programs, and may from time to time offer direct financial aid as funding allows.
- Housing assistance, eviction prevention, and homeless services - One of the goals is to end and prevent homelessness. They provide a continuum of services, information on government programs and other aid to help maintain housing, or find a new home.
- Energy and Heating Assistance - This program is funded by both the State of Minnesota as well as the federal government. It can provide low to moderate income people with an important resource to help income-eligible households manage their utility bills, prevent a disconnection, and keep their utilities powered on. It may provide a grant, disconnection prevention, weatherization, and information on energy bill assistance that can be provided directly by utility, gas, and water companies. They can also help customer negotiate payment plans.
- Debt Management and Financial Counseling - Work with a credit counselor. Sessions can be held on a one on one basis, and are confidential. Debt counseling can help you develop a budget and reduce medical and credit card debts. Bankruptcy advice, counseling, and suggestions are also offered if you are considering a bankruptcy filing.
- Foreclosure prevention and information on mortgage programs - Lutheran Social Services of Minnesota is a HUD approved housing counseling agency. They can advise homeowners, for free, on their options if they are struggling with paying their mortgage. A counselor can provide information on refinancing option, loan modifications, government mortgage programs, foreclosure mediation, and other solutions.
Call Lutheran Social Services of Minnesota at 1.800.582.5260
Western Minnesota Legal Services (phone (320) 235-9600) - They provide pro-bono legal consultations and advice to low income, the elderly, and disabled. They deal with civil legal issues and not criminal ones.
Willmar Area Food Shelf - This provides free food and groceries to the needy. The address is 624 Pacific Ave Sw, and the facility is located in Willmar, Minnesota. Call (320) 235-2641
Salvation Army, which is located in Willmar Minnesota, is a social services agency that administers help. Get financial assistance (which is limited) for such items as energy bills and rent. Free food and a thrift store are run. Also holiday meals and items such as Christmas assistance and baskets are provided. (320) 235-2033
Mc Leod Food Shelf - This is a non-profit that provides food, clothing, and other forms of non-financial aid. Glencoe, MN
Heartland Community Action Agency, Inc. - This agency serves the counties of McLeod, Kandiyohi, Meeker, and Renville Minnesota.
- Energy Assistance Program - Financial assistance and cash grants will be awarded to eligible low to moderate income applicants on a first come, first serve basis. Funding is limited. The type and amount of grants provided will be based on the applicants income, household size, and the overall energy costs and utility bill amounts of your home. The Energy Assistance grants and financial aid will be sent directly to your fuel supplier.
- Weatherization Program - The primary goal of the program is to reduce home energy costs and heating bills, and weatherization is offered to eligible households by improving the energy efficiency of their homes or apartments.
- Rent and mortgage assistance - Get access to information and referral to government programs and non-profits. Other housing programs include first month's rent assistance, funds for security deposits, past due rent payment assistance, short term rent help, motel vouchers, and other aid.
- Low interest automobile loans - If you need a car to get to a job, a program known as Helping People Get There can help someone find a low interest rate auto loan.
Heartland Community Action Agency, Inc. is based in Willmar Minnesota and can be reached at (320) 235-0850.