Residents of the Jacksonville Florida and Duval County region can get help finding a job and gain skills from the Workforce Development program. Emergency Assistance can also provide food, utility bill help, and housing assistance. Resources are focused on the underemployed, low income, and individuals who are currently unemployed. The Jacksonville Catholic Charities, which is part of the Diocese of St. Augustine, assisted over 6,000 residents last year wit those and other needs. Many people are receiving help for the first time ever.
People call upon Catholic Charities if they are faced with an emergency situation. It is usually a short term financial hardship, such as they are unable to afford groceries, may be facing eviction or foreclosure, or they are about to have their electricity turned off. The charity may be able to assist them on a short-term basis. As funding allows, the agency may have rent assistance so people don’t become homeless, or they may be able to provide a few days worth of food.
This resource may be able to help people find a job, become employed, or find a higher paying and/or more secure job. The agency is very excited about being able to offer this employment program to those who need help.
Clients of Workforce Development may be able to be placed into jobs using new and existing partnerships. Catholic Charities will partner with local Duval County businesses, schools, and churches. Vocation and job training may be provided in the future. Read more on Workforce Investment Act.
This can provide for basic needs and homeless prevention resources. The program can help people who are faced with utility disconnection or eviction, with the goal of helping families stay safe and secure in their homes and apartments. Many people need help when considering that families of all backgrounds and religions live from paycheck-to-paycheck, may be out of a job or are facing a medical emergency. The Jacksonville Catholic Charities and the Emergency Assistance program helps by making payments for mortgages, rent, provides food, or pay utilities.
The charity administers resources such as the JEA Neighbor to Neighbor Program which provides limited financial assistance with bills for poor residents, the elderly, and the disabled. A focus is on those who are at risk of having their utilities disconnected. Catholic Charities also administers the Donna Foundation fund, which provides emergency financial assistance in Duval County Florida to individuals and their families who are living with breast cancer.
Another service is the Housing Opportunities for Persons with AIDS (HOPWA). This program also provides emergency financial assistance to eligible clients. Among other needs it can help with include utilities, cooling bills, and rent expenses. More on nationwide Catholic Charity assistance programs.
Catholic Charities operates a food pantry for people in Jacksonville Florida and across Duval County. In general, food will be distributed to the public on either Wednesday or Friday afternoons from 1pm to 2pm. Applicants will need to bring proof of their ID, including driver license and/or social security card. Individuals of all backgrounds receive food, with an emphasis on the unemployed.
This is run in partnership with the Catholic Charities Jacksonville Regional Office and JEA. Limited amounts of cash and financial assistance is offered for the elderly, disabled and working poor residents. Aid is offered for JEA customers who are faced with a disconnection of their utilities.
Donations are always needed and accepted to. Anyone can donate to the JEA utility bill assistance program by simply checking the Neighbor to Neighbor box on your monthly bill. One time contributions are accepted too. All of which you contribute will go towards the program, and there are no administrative fees.
Qualified individuals who are looking to leave the immediate Jacksonville Florida area are able to purchase one-way bus tickets out of town as a result of an agreement with Greyhound. The bus tickets are offered at a discounted rate to those who qualify.
The person who is looking to leave the area will need to pay for at least 75% of the cost for the one-way ticket. The discount received from Traveler’s Aid will pay for the remaining 25% of the bus ticket. A caseworker will need to approve the application for this transportation program. Also the person seeking help will need to have a place to stay at their final destination. They also need to be able to provide a name/phone number of their destination.
The Jacksonville Florida Catholic Charities provides services to anyone in need regardless of their religion or race. Dial (904) 354-4846 for more information.
Like this site?