Greenwood County assistance programs.
How to get help with bills and expenses
The Greater Greenwood United Ministry has several programs that aid residents. Contact them at 1404 Edgefield Street, Greenwood, S.C. (864) 942-0500. All of the programs, services, and resources you see listed below are offered by the ministry.
A program was created by the Greenwood Commissioners of Public Works which will help local residents who are struggling with paying their utility bills. The program created is known as CPW Cares.
The energy bill assistance program entails local residents, businesses, and utility companies providing donations to help those who need a hand in paying for their utility bills. The fund raised then go to the Greater Greenwood United Ministry, which does the screening and qualifying of applicants, and will distribute the funds to qualified families.
Other assistance programs offered by the ministry include:
- Rent Assistance
- Free Medications and Prescription Drugs(emergency needs apart from free clinic help)
- Utility and Heating bills (includes gas, electric, and water bills)
- Home Heating fuel
- Gasoline and kerosene and home heating fuel
- Homeless aid in the form of temporary shelter
- Food which is provided from GGUM food pantry, which is donated by member churches, schools, ROTC, Boy and Girl Scouts and other organizations
- Furniture, including bedding, pots, pans, fans, towels, heaters, etc. from our warehouse
- Free eye exams and glasses: provided with assistance from the Lions Club Jobs.
Greenwood South Carolina free medical clinic
If you are an individuals or family without access to basic medical services or health care, a clinic can help. The Ministry will have more information on this as well. It provides residents:
- Free prescription drugs for patients
- Free Doctor visits, checkups and examination care
- Free lab work and consulting
- Medical counseling and referral services to hospital and eye clinic for items they can’t provide at the clinic
- Find ways to get help with other medical bills, including prescriptions, hospital bills, and more help with medical bills.
- A listing of places to call for free or low cost health care is part of this site. Get information on free community clinics, and select SC and Greenwood from the list of states.
Free dental clinic
Free dental care is available for tooth extraction only. Referrals are available for other dental services. South Carolina dental clinics operate across the state, including in the greater Greenwood area.
Call the Greater Greenwood United Ministry at (864) 942-0500 to learn about all of these services, resources, and other financial assistance programs in the community.
Emergency financial aid and social services in Greenwood County
GLEAMNS – The community action agency offers a host of services and assistance programs to senior citizens, low income families and the disabled.
- Utility services include grants for paying bills from LIHEAP and free energy conservation measures from weatherization. Families with children and the elderly are a focus.
- The CSBG program may have funds for emergency needs, such as rent to prevent an eviction or medications in emergencies. Other aid may include transitional housing or funds to pay the security deposit on a new, low income approved apartment.
- Greenwood County families may also get referrals from GLEAMNS to local non-profits that may have free food, school supplies or other basic needs.
- Case management, job placement, budgeting, and self-sufficiency is a goal of the Anderson County agency. Clients need to be on the path to stability.
Other financial aid and social services are available. Read GLEAMNS Human Resources Commission.