Help with utilities, heating bills and rent in Chicago.

The government of Chicago Department of Family and Support Services runs several centers around the city that administer rent, housing, utility, and other aid to the needy in the area. A wide variety of services are offered from the Community Service Centers, including both financial assistance and also resources that provide other services, such as referrals.

Call or stop by a center for free food and clothing, shelter, job training and placement, and career counseling. Some of the financial assistance programs administered include funds for rental, utility and heating bills, and other financial assistance programs. The goal is to help solve the immediate crisis and place the family on a path for long term success. Not only can an individual or family stop by for assistance with those expenses, but the Chicago Community Service Centers also serve as cooling and warming centers during the cold winter months and hot summer.

If you need help or want to learn more information, call or stop by a government funded center. The addresses and phone numbers are below. Potential applicants will need to meet with a counselor and participate in an initial assessment to identify their specific needs and type of emergency. All cases are reviewed, no matter if someone needs free food, housing assistance, or help for paying energy bills. After this initial interview and consultation with a Family and Support Services case worker, some basic services can be immediately provided to the applicant. If after this interview it is determined that you have multiple or complex needs or issues then you will be assigned a government case worker from the Community Service Centers.

Department of Family and Support Services case workers are highly trained specialists who work with clients on an ongoing basis. They have extensive information on where people can go to for help with such needs as rent, utility and heating bills, and much more. The will also help individuals set personal goals, develop budgets and create plans to achieve them. The will ensure ensure the clients stays on track. A case worker can refer clients to specialized services and financial aid programs in the community and their local Chicago neighborhood.

A number of other assistance programs are provided by the Department of Family and Support Services offices. They can help with other basic needs and provide financial aid for bills in a crisis situation. Case management and referrals are provided to, as well as information on government benefits. Get more information on Department of Family and Support Services programs.





Locations of government run Community Service Centers in Chicago

The centers and programs noted below offer needy families and individuals a large number of assistance programs. Get help with paying rent or access free food. Or when faced with an disconnection, get assistance with paying expenses such as heating and utility bills. People can also access job programs and placement services. Basically the centers take a holistic approach to solving a residents problems, no matter the issue.

South Chicago
8650 S. Commercial Ave.
Chicago, Illinois 60617
Phone number - 312-747-0500

Englewood Center
Address - 845 W. 69th Street
Chicago, IL 60621

Garfield Center
10 S. Kedzie Ave.
Chicago, IL 60612
Number - 312-746-5400

King Center
Address of center - 4314 S. Cottage Grove
Chicago, IL 60653
Dial 312-747-2300 for information.




North Area
4740 N. Sheridan Road
Chicago, IL 60640
Dial - 312-744-2580

Trina Davila
4357 W. Armitage Ave.
Chicago, Illinois 60639
Phone number - 312-744-2014

Government affiliated law firms

Families facing eviction or the currently homeless may qualify for help from pro-bono law firms, free legal aid, or local volunteer attorneys. Some of these Cook County and city locations may be partly funded by government grants. They may have referrals to emergency, deferred loans for paying rent, transitional housing programs, or eviction prevention services.

Chicago Coalition for the Homeless can be reached at 312.641.4141 or 800.940.1119. Learn about shelters, resources security deposits or first months rent, and other self-sufficiency services.

Legal Assistance Foundation of Metropolitan Chicago, dial 312.341.1070

Additional rent and housing programs

The Inner Voice - The non-profit provides information on various rental assistance programs as well as housing units. In some cases, they may directly offer financial aid to income qualified Cook County and/or Chicago families. When this is available, grants may be issued to pay rent to prevent an eviction, or the homeless can apply for help with a security deposit fee.





Other resources include Supportive Housing, shelters, and support for veterans and the elderly. Some clients may receive a loan for the rental payment, and it will need to be repaid. Any financial aid offered by inner Voice will also usually require the participate attend case management. Call (312) 994-5830 for information or referrals.

Homelessness Prevention Call Center - This is a regional service operated by non-profits and organizations such as All Chicago. Programs include grants in a crisis for paying overdue rental costs, rapid-rehousing (which can assist with security deposits and housing placement), and referrals. There is also rental assistance for veterans, single parents, and other vulnerable residents. Call toll free 1.877.426.6515, or find more details on eviction prevention in Chicago and Cook County.





Like this site?