state of illinois about to file a lien

Find how to get help with taxes, such as property and income taxes.
jmiles1279
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

state of illinois about to file a lien

Post by jmiles1279 »

I am in need of some assistance on how to get help. The State of Illinois Department of Revenue is going to file a lien against me because my statute of limitations is expiring (which i never knew about) on repayment. Because the debt is only $1300, lawyers and tax relief agencies cannot/will not help me. I spoke with the state and they said the only way to stop the lien is by paying the amount due, in full, immediately. I was on a payment plan with them and I lost my job 10 months ago and they do not have assistance programs that will will lengthen my payment plan. They could not even tell me when my limitation expired. So can anyone direct me to any kind of assistance? I am unemployed and can barely afford rent and food and I have zero job prospects in site. Please help.
helper

Re: state of illinois about to file a lien

Post by helper »

What is the lien for? Property Taxes? Income taxes? If property, try a property tax consultant. Many should take your case, even if for $1300. Or if not, they should be able to refer you to someone or an agency that can help. Here is a link for property tax consultants. Let me know if this doesn't help, or the type of lien it is.
karenjim

Re: state of illinois about to file a lien

Post by karenjim »

I am not certain of the different cities but check with your local city hall. My city hall offers hardship programs twice per year. You need to reapply every year, but if you qualify they'll either lower your taxes or give you an exemption from paying them that year. It's worth a try... not like they'll go any higher. And you may just be pleasantly surprised... Check with your city hall soon... Good luck