Back property taxes

Find how to get help with taxes, such as property and income taxes.
Duketheguy

Back property taxes

Post by Duketheguy »

I've been out of work for 3 yrs with a Disability but right when i got hurt i paid my house off in full. I couldn't stay up with the property taxes because i was only getting %40 of my pay, the town now wants payment in full. About 3 months a go i went to the town & tried to get a payment plan of some sort but they said no way we want payment in full. I recieved a letter from the Land Court March 5th,I responded to the Court and now I'm waiting to hear from them. My question is,is there anything i can do to get the town to accept some sort of payment plan?? I'm not looking to get out of paying my taxes, but my Retirement is just going through & I'll be receiving more money to pay them. I tried to do the right thing in paying my house off,I knew i would be late on the taxes but what else could i do? I went for a line of Equity also & was refused because I'm still collecting Comp. & retirement & they don't count the Comp. Any help would be very much appreciated,Thanks, Oh ya I'm in Plymouth Ma.
Admin
Site Admin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: Back property taxes

Post by Admin »

Duketheguy wrote:I've been out of work for 3 yrs with a Disability but right when i got hurt i paid my house off in full. I couldn't stay up with the property taxes because i was only getting %40 of my pay, the town now wants payment in full. About 3 months a go i went to the town & tried to get a payment plan of some sort but they said no way we want payment in full. I recieved a letter from the Land Court March 5th,I responded to the Court and now I'm waiting to hear from them. My question is,is there anything i can do to get the town to accept some sort of payment plan?? I'm not looking to get out of paying my taxes, but my Retirement is just going through & I'll be receiving more money to pay them. I tried to do the right thing in paying my house off,I knew i would be late on the taxes but what else could i do? I went for a line of Equity also & was refused because I'm still collecting Comp. & retirement & they don't count the Comp. Any help would be very much appreciated,Thanks, Oh ya I'm in Plymouth Ma.
A few things/ideas.

-If you defintely have cash coming in later, try a low interest loan. Even try a credit card, then transfer balance to a zero% card. As long as you pay it off before rate increases! (this is critical)

-Contact a professional, but only pay them if they help save you $$ or home. Hire them on contigent basis.

-Also, challenge your property tax assessment. It is free to do. The National Taxpayers Union has estimated that over 60% of properties in the United States are overassessed. Probably even more so now with real estate prices flat or lower.
http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... erty_.html
gerry.heffer

Post by gerry.heffer »

Duketheguy wrote:I've been out of work for 3 yrs with a Disability but right when i got hurt i paid my house off in full. I couldn't stay up with the property taxes because i was only getting %40 of my pay, the town now wants payment in full. About 3 months a go i went to the town & tried to get a payment plan of some sort but they said no way we want payment in full. I recieved a letter from the Land Court March 5th,I responded to the Court and now I'm waiting to hear from them. My question is,is there anything i can do to get the town to accept some sort of payment plan?? I'm not looking to get out of paying my taxes, but my Retirement is just going through & I'll be receiving more money to pay them. I tried to do the right thing in paying my house off,I knew i would be late on the taxes but what else could i do? I went for a line of Equity also & was refused because I'm still collecting Comp. & retirement & they don't count the Comp. Any help would be very much appreciated,Thanks, Oh ya I'm in Plymouth Ma.
Also, if you need cash, try some of the online sites, such as trying products, surverys, and more. Here is a good one
http://needhelppayingbills.com/helpwith ... .php?t=115
Duketheguy

Post by Duketheguy »

Thanks all for your help.
L14

Owe for back property taxes

Post by L14 »

Hi, I need help. I cannot find a community action agency in my area and I owe $1044 in property taxes which I cannot pay as I only live on $900 a month. I live in Sandoval (Marion County), Illinois. There is no way I can pay these taxes and the lst installment of $526.03 is due by August 21st. I do not want to defer my taxes, as I do not want a lien on my property. Can you please help? What are my options? Installments do me no good as after I pay my bills, I have absolutely nothing left over. Please write me soon. I shall be waiting anxiously to hear from you. I am getting NO cooperation from the Assessor's Office or Treasurer's Office.
brightred

Post by brightred »

I am 61, live in Missouri and presently owe $2500.00, or more in real estate taxes. I could not pay for 2009 or 2010. Missouri has no real help with this matter, and their installment
program to pay it back is way too high for me to keep up. I make $1007.00 each month in retirement, and have $156.00 for my health insurance which is through my
former employer the Federal Government. And I have a $176.00 debt consolidation deduction for my charge cards which I used to pay for my Diabetes 2 meds and
other meds I have to take every day. By the time I pay my utilities, and other bills such as phone and internet and TV I only have about $300 left for groceries
and food stamps which help some. I am 100% disabled and live in a home I inherited from my late parents and their old but low mileage car which runs great.
I was in the hospital for 2 months in 2009, and let my friend have POA while I was an inpatient. He used the $1100.00 I was going to use to pay my taxes with to
pay bills that could have waited until I was discharged. I did not know of this until I got home and saw my bank statements. I had virtually no money left so this is
why I am in this predicament. Is there any way I could find some organization where I live to help me pay this off so I can get the $1100 again and add to it so
I can pay this bill every year, hopefully? From what I could find Missouri has nothing to help me. I tried calling the Dept of Revenue and they don't know anything
either. I don't want to sell my house and move into an area that I do not feel is safe. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I do surveys, but they pay very little and it accumulates very slowly. I cannot afford to accept the offers just to get paid because I don't have the money to
even join.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

I think try a couple options. It sounds like you are on a limited income. If so, you may be able to qualify for free legal advice. Massachusetts programs and attorneys can help you if you qualify. Here is more info.
http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... assis.html
Also, maybe try a property tax consultant. If you go to the main site of needhelppayingbills, go the the Other Bills link on the left menu bar and then select Help With Taxes. A Property Tax Consultant May be able to help, and they will work on a contingency basis.
SandiStanley

Post by SandiStanley »

I am having a hard time saving my money to pay my land property tax bill. I live in ipswich Massachusetts and make 2000$ a month and cant seem to save up to pay land tax which now i owe 6,000$. Once i get caight up i am sure i can save money to make the rest of my bills.my boyfriend doesnt work to back problems and cant seem to pay all the bills on my own.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Owing $6000 in back property taxes is a lot of money. But you do have some options for this type of situation. There are installment plans, contest assessment, and consultants who can argue on your behalf. Find how to get help with back property taxes. Probably the best solution is to enter into a property tax installment plan, which means you will need to pay a portion of the bill over many months and years. And you need to stay on track and not miss a payment on the installment plan for property taxes.
SandiStanley wrote:I am having a hard time saving my money to pay my land property tax bill. I live in ipswich Massachusetts and make 2000$ a month and cant seem to save up to pay land tax which now i owe 6,000$. Once i get caight up i am sure i can save money to make the rest of my bills.my boyfriend doesnt work to back problems and cant seem to pay all the bills on my own.
Tybee

Post by Tybee »

I live in Berks County, Pa, and have only just gotten back to work following injuries that required nearly 4 1/2 years to enable me to even think of working in a part time basis. My property taxes fell behind, and the agencies keep telling me they can help with mortgage payments or rent payments even my own church says this; but they will not help me because my home is owned outright (my dad paid it off in 1989 before he died) WHY ARE THERE NO AGENCIES TO HELP ME, AND OTHER OLDER WOMEN LIKE ME? They would rather put us out of our homes and make us homeless with our belongings in a shopping cart, then help us stay in our homes?
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

So what do you need mortgage help for if you own your home? I guess we are confused here. Is it just the property taxes? Maybe look into an installment plan in Berks County. Or get a new assessment of property. Find our other list of tools to get help with property taxes. While much relies on your local government, homeowners and families do have some options available to them, like installment plans, challenging assessment, and much more.
Tybee wrote:I live in Berks County, Pa, and have only just gotten back to work following injuries that required nearly 4 1/2 years to enable me to even think of working in a part time basis. My property taxes fell behind, and the agencies keep telling me they can help with mortgage payments or rent payments even my own church says this; but they will not help me because my home is owned outright (my dad paid it off in 1989 before he died) WHY ARE THERE NO AGENCIES TO HELP ME, AND OTHER OLDER WOMEN LIKE ME? They would rather put us out of our homes and make us homeless with our belongings in a shopping cart, then help us stay in our homes?
Brokaw

Post by Brokaw »

To whom it may concern:
I am a single parent of three who is unemployed and I need assistance with paying my 2011 property tax bill. I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. If you can please provide with some type of information on who I can contact about getting assistance. My property taxes are due on January 31,2012. I need help soon. Please reply back as soon as possible.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Many agencies do not provide help for paying property tax bills. The best thing to do is to call your local town assessor and ask for an installment plan. Also challenge your assessment value in order to get your taxes lowered for the following years. It is free to challenge a home's assessed value. Learn more on here and find tax help and tips and tricks.
Brokaw wrote:To whom it may concern:
I am a single parent of three who is unemployed and I need assistance with paying my 2011 property tax bill. I live in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. If you can please provide with some type of information on who I can contact about getting assistance. My property taxes are due on January 31,2012. I need help soon. Please reply back as soon as possible.
MikeDexter

Post by MikeDexter »

I am having problems paying my property taxes. I am a 30 year old female and I am disabled. I had the money saved but we ended up paying for my daughters surgery on her mouth all 4 wisdom teeth had to come out. I don't no what else to do. My property taxes are 395 for the year and we only get 99 dollars for three people for food. I don't want to lose my property home but I have to feed my family. Also can you please help us. Thanks and god bless. We live in Fort Myers Florida.
Angela S

Post by Angela S »

Hello,
I am currently working as an advocate for for a resident of Englewood. He owes $850 dollars in back property taxes to the city that must be paid by December 31st or his house will go to auction. We are exploring every option, but time is running short. Any help or referrals you can give me and he would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.