Help with paying utility and heating bills assistance
Gambino
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Breathing machine

Post by Gambino »

Hi,
I am a single mom of one son who is 7 and I am also doing kinship care of my niece through CPS/DCS. I get absolutely zero financial assistance through DCS/cps for help with my niece.
I work full time as a medical assistant but only make 11 an hour which isn't enough to raise two kids on. I can't pay my basic bills. My utilities are going to be shut off. I'm renting a house and my landlord could care less WHY I can't pay, he just wants his money.
I've been trying to get a hold of DES to add my niece to my existing nutrition assistance case (I was already low income before taking her in, now it's even worse). Both of my kids and myself have chronic illness.
My niece has a breathing machine that requires power that she uses a minimum of 10 times daily. If our power gets shut off she won't be able to breathe and we will end up in the ER. She has SEVERE asthma requiring continuous treatment throughout the day. Because I'm family and not a certified foster parent, we don't qualify for help or the stipend through the state for having my niece. I'm not even getting the $18.76 a month that I AM entitled to through kinship care because someone dropped the ball once again up at DCS/cps.
I am in desperate need of help. I work all day but my elderly mother is at my house with the kids during the day and can take calls. I have my cell at work but have a hard time answering it if I'm with a patient.
Could someone email me or possibly connect me with anyone that could help us? If I miss any work I will have even less money and risk getting fired, so I can't even get into any of these places to ask for help. Every time I call the Salvation Army or others, they are already out of funds to help. I'm desperate and just looking for help so I can keep a roof over my kids head and keep the power on for them too.
Thank you,
Admin
Site Admin
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Re: Breathing machine

Post by Admin »

If you are caring as a kin, and the son has severe ashtma, then you are probably protected by state laws and/or regulations. Many states have them for people on breathing machines. And if you are also not getting $18 per month, that is another strong part in your favor. We recommend looking into the various consumer protection laws for utility bills, as they may give you time to get back on track.
Gambino wrote:Hi,
I am a single mom of one son who is 7 and I am also doing kinship care of my niece through CPS/DCS. I get absolutely zero financial assistance through DCS/cps for help with my niece.
I work full time as a medical assistant but only make 11 an hour which isn't enough to raise two kids on. I can't pay my basic bills. My utilities are going to be shut off. I'm renting a house and my landlord could care less WHY I can't pay, he just wants his money.
I've been trying to get a hold of DES to add my niece to my existing nutrition assistance case (I was already low income before taking her in, now it's even worse). Both of my kids and myself have chronic illness.
My niece has a breathing machine that requires power that she uses a minimum of 10 times daily. If our power gets shut off she won't be able to breathe and we will end up in the ER. She has SEVERE asthma requiring continuous treatment throughout the day. Because I'm family and not a certified foster parent, we don't qualify for help or the stipend through the state for having my niece. I'm not even getting the $18.76 a month that I AM entitled to through kinship care because someone dropped the ball once again up at DCS/cps.
I am in desperate need of help. I work all day but my elderly mother is at my house with the kids during the day and can take calls. I have my cell at work but have a hard time answering it if I'm with a patient.
Could someone email me or possibly connect me with anyone that could help us? If I miss any work I will have even less money and risk getting fired, so I can't even get into any of these places to ask for help. Every time I call the Salvation Army or others, they are already out of funds to help. I'm desperate and just looking for help so I can keep a roof over my kids head and keep the power on for them too.
Thank you,