Mississippi utilities and deposits

Help with paying utility and heating bills assistance
Williams
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Mississippi utilities and deposits

Post by Williams »

We just recently moved to Jackson, Mississippi and when we got our lights and everything in order they said a $250 deposit will be added to the first bill. I wasn't able to find a job until a couple of weeks ago, so now I need help paying the rest of the bill because Entergy is going to cut our lights off on 2/24/14. And I still have to help pay the rent. I am the only one working in my household because my father is mentally disabled, and my older sisters are just all wrapped up in themselves. There is no help from family because they look down on us because of my father disability and won't help. I have already contacted Entergy but they said they can't give us an extension on the bill because the deposit hasn't been paid yet. So if you get this email in time, please help us. Like I stated earlier, I do work, and the only reason I need help right now is because it took me so long to find a job, and because the deposit was so much at one time on a small income. Thanks for your time.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Mississippi utilities and deposits

Post by Admin »

If you need money to pay a deposit for lights, then maybe try LIHEAP. The agencies that run the program is Mississippi may have referrals or suggestions, as that type of assistance is very rare. Since your dad is disabled, there will be centers in Jackson MS that offer advice to the disabled too. So try them for information, and some will help the client apply for financial aid for utilities. Find more details on LIHEAP assistance in Mississippi.
Sinclair Li

Post by Sinclair Li »

My sister and I need help paying our energy bill. She had a stroke 3 years ago and because we transferred from her mother’s residence to this new residence. Also Rankin county human resources will not help us. We can’t have our electricity turned off. Where can I turn? Who can help? We live in Brandon MS.
Selectquote

Post by Selectquote »

I am married with a disabled wife and step son now living in Newport News Virginia. In low income housing... And need an emergency release from this state back to Mississippi low income housing so need money for deposits... The home we living in is not fit and have a crack frame scenes on the walls or streaks of crack in every room that was covered up but now we can see them.
The first 3 months and even now we have white particles in our bath and drinking water due to an old hot water heater that the owner never and wouldn't change out. We have had bad experiences since we got hear. They have a process that takes too long for us to wait around to get paper and our file to be sent back to Mississippi so I am leaving this dump of a house and Bringing my family back home to Biloxi MS. Where we belong.
All I ask is for emergency assistance for utility deposits when we make it back home because my wife is getting sicker and needs her doctor back in Mississippi because we have been through several of doctors and they can't seem to get my wife good care like the one she had in Mississippi. Also my step son is mentally retorted and need his proper care also.
I love my family and we leaving this place and we will need immediate housing because we will be homeless when we get back to Biloxi, MS.
Gump

Post by Gump »

I JUST GOT MY LEASE IN GULFPORT, MS AT BROOKSTONE APARTMENTS ON THE 28TH OF NOVEMBER I CAN'T MOVE IN UNTIL I GET MY LIGHTS AND WATER TURNED ON. I'M EXTREMELY NEW TO THIS AND THE AREA SO IF SOMEONE COULD HELP ME I WOULD VERY MUCH APPRECIATE IT.
LIGHTS=$250 PLUS $35 CONNECT FEE.
WATER=$150 PLUS $35 CONNECT FEE DEPOSIT=$225 WHICH CAN BE PAYED IN OVER 3 MONTHS ONLY.
I HAVE TO HAVE SEPARATE MONEY ORDERS FOR ALL UTILITIES AND 1 ONLY FOR THE DEPOSIT.
PS. I HAS BEEN? HEAVY AND I BEEN SLEEPING IN MY FRIENDS TRUCK BECAUSE OF NOT HAVING THE MONEY TO HANDLE ANYTHING. I’M ALSO DISABLED. I'M 35. HAVE A GREAT DAY!!
BLM1

Post by BLM1 »

I apologize for sending the last email abruptly. What I was trying to say was that I took my mom to the Prairie Opportunity in Europa Mississippi. The woman there, Alison, began scolding my mother the moment she walked through the door for asking for help with her utilities. It was rude and condescending. My mother got assistance with her light bill in January but was subsequently diagnosed with breast cancer and had to have surgery and radiation treatment. She got in the hole by having to drive make the fifty mile round trip every day for five weeks. The woman's reaction was rude and dehumanizing. She scolded my mother like a child for not having a savings to cover unexpected expenses. My mother is on disability. I was not sure who to send this too but I just wanted to let someone know my mother needs utility help in Mississippi.
Thank you,
Lindsey
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

There are also other MS assistance programs for light bills.
These are not just all run by the Prairie Opportunity community action agency - other programs are run by other agencies too, including directly from utility companies. Look for resources on the site.
BLM1 wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:57 am I apologize for sending the last email abruptly. What I was trying to say was that I took my mom to the Prairie Opportunity in Europa Mississippi. The woman there, Alison, began scolding my mother the moment she walked through the door for asking for help with her utilities. It was rude and condescending. My mother got assistance with her light bill in January but was subsequently diagnosed with breast cancer and had to have surgery and radiation treatment. She got in the hole by having to drive make the fifty mile round trip every day for five weeks. The woman's reaction was rude and dehumanizing. She scolded my mother like a child for not having a savings to cover unexpected expenses. My mother is on disability. I was not sure who to send this too but I just wanted to let someone know my mother needs utility help in Mississippi.
Thank you,
Lindsey
BLM1

Post by BLM1 »

Hello
I am containing you in regards to getting help with my utility bills in Natchez Mississippi, which is Adams County. I am disabled and not working. I am just recently re-housed from being homeless 2023 August - January 2024.
I read on your website that it is illegal for my utilities to be turned off. Is there a way to get more information on that for MS? I have bills totaling almost 900.00 that I am unable to pay and remain in a home. My gas is due to be off on the 20th of this month and the rest by the 26th of March 2024.
Please contact me as soon as possible. Thank you.