Need roof repairs

Help with paying other bills, assistance, or anything else you may need or want to discuss.
19Butterly
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Need roof repairs

Post by 19Butterly »

Dear Sir or Madam,
My mother is 75 years old, lives alone and her only income is her monthly SS check. She is on Medicare/Medicaid and receives assistance for electric, gas and food stamps. She owns her own home which had some watherization assistance done several years ago. She lives in the town of Stamford Fairfield County, Conneticut. She recently received a letter from her home insurance company dated OCT 11, 2011 that said they had an adjuster out looking at her house and that her roof is in severe disrepair. Due to the obvious issues a roof in bad condition could cause, they said they will have to drop her from her insurance if it is not fixed. If her insurance is dropped, she will also lose her state assistance that allows her to live in her own home, because as I understand it, the house must have proof of insurance in order to receive aid. I am writing because we are desperately looking for help from grants and whatever else is available in order to get her roof replaced. So far, we already know that the whole roof needs to be replaced due to the age and damage over the years. She can't pay for this work. I am asking if you are aware of specific ways to get this taken care of through grants etc and/or if you would help direct me how or put me in touch with someone who can assist with this request? I am willing to do what I can to e-mail, write, and/or contact any one or any place to try to get this assistance but really have no idea where to go, who to go to or how to go about doing it. I myself am a disabled vet and am not able to work at this time which is stressful enough, but knowing that she may lose her insurance and due to the domino effect also lose the aid that helps her live in her own home, makes this much worse of an issue. I would greatly appreciate absolutely any help you can provide, and/or names and assistance in how to go about taking care of this issue. I believe I could get 1-3 people who might be able to help with the physical work part of things, if the only assistance we can otherwise get is for supplies and to rent a garbage bin. My name is Mary, I am my Mom's POA and I'm available most of the time on most days. Please feel free to e-mail and/or call me with anything that
could help. I will be happy to return a contact if a voicemail is left. Thank you for your time.Sincerely,
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Need roof repairs

Post by Admin »

We always recommend people call their local community action agency and ask about weatherization for roof repairs. While we are not sure if a grant is offered for it, it is one program that may be able to help. And if not, community action agencies often have information on various low interest loan options and products for home repairs, roofs, and other housing support. That is great that looking out for your mother too. Sadly many don't.
19Butterly wrote:Dear Sir or Madam,
My mother is 75 years old, lives alone and her only income is her monthly SS check. She is on Medicare/Medicaid and receives assistance for electric, gas and food stamps. She owns her own home which had some watherization assistance done several years ago. She lives in the town of Stamford Fairfield County, Conneticut. She recently received a letter from her home insurance company dated OCT 11, 2011 that said they had an adjuster out looking at her house and that her roof is in severe disrepair. Due to the obvious issues a roof in bad condition could cause, they said they will have to drop her from her insurance if it is not fixed. If her insurance is dropped, she will also lose her state assistance that allows her to live in her own home, because as I understand it, the house must have proof of insurance in order to receive aid. I am writing because we are desperately looking for help from grants and whatever else is available in order to get her roof replaced. So far, we already know that the whole roof needs to be replaced due to the age and damage over the years. She can't pay for this work. I am asking if you are aware of specific ways to get this taken care of through grants etc and/or if you would help direct me how or put me in touch with someone who can assist with this request? I am willing to do what I can to e-mail, write, and/or contact any one or any place to try to get this assistance but really have no idea where to go, who to go to or how to go about doing it. I myself am a disabled vet and am not able to work at this time which is stressful enough, but knowing that she may lose her insurance and due to the domino effect also lose the aid that helps her live in her own home, makes this much worse of an issue. I would greatly appreciate absolutely any help you can provide, and/or names and assistance in how to go about taking care of this issue. I believe I could get 1-3 people who might be able to help with the physical work part of things, if the only assistance we can otherwise get is for supplies and to rent a garbage bin. My name is Mary, I am my Mom's POA and I'm available most of the time on most days. Please feel free to e-mail and/or call me with anything that
could help. I will be happy to return a contact if a voicemail is left. Thank you for your time.Sincerely,
ManGroup

Post by ManGroup »

Hi found your site while online need help badly for someone to fix our roof. it is leaking really really really bad the front is really bad the back was sorta fixed yrs ago the ceiling in the living room is ready to fall. we are both sick, have COPD, i have that ,plus a pacemaker, congestive heart failure, have trouble breathing with the dampness that's inside the house. i can pay about $10 a month to repay i am the only one with income i am on a fixed income. i am disabled also. PLEASE HELP US !!! thanks
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Have you looked into do it yourself home repairs? We have tips and tricks that may be able to help you, including even with roof repairs too. As $10 per month will not pay for a ceiling or roof repairs. Maybe also look into section 8 housing assistance for safe, sanitary, and affordable housing units.
ManGroup wrote:Hi found your site while online need help badly for someone to fix our roof. it is leaking really really really bad the front is really bad the back was sorta fixed yrs ago the ceiling in the living room is ready to fall. we are both sick, have COPD, i have that ,plus a pacemaker, congestive heart failure, have trouble breathing with the dampness that's inside the house. i can pay about $10 a month to repay i am the only one with income i am on a fixed income. i am disabled also. PLEASE HELP US !!! thanks
Dimaze

Post by Dimaze »

Hi found your site while online. Need help badly for someone to fix our roof. it is leaking really really really bad the front is really bad the back was sorta fixed yrs ago the ceiling in the living room is ready to fall. We are both sick, have COPD, i have that ,plus a pacemaker, congestive heart failure, have trouble breathing with the dampness that's inside the house. i can pay about $10 a month to repay i am the only one with income i am on a fixed income. i am disabled also. PLEASE HELP US !!! thanks
bluegourami3

Post by bluegourami3 »

I live in Delaware, and I know here, there are programs that loan based, but with 0% for low income and elderly to get a loan, if she would be able to or some family members pitching in with help to repay the loan, she could apply for this type of program. The brochure that I have is listed under Department of Community Services. Look to see if this is listed in Government listed in your local phone book. It's usually a county entity.

The program we have is 0% interest
20 year term payback
$20,000 maximum loan mortgage amount. Because of her age, she may have to have a co-signer, but when she passes on. This would be paid back through the sale of the house.
Carney

Post by Carney »

Hi, I am the owner of a 2 story home in Philadelphia, PA 19138. I and my family have lived here for now about 14 years. I and my wife have fought long and hard to keep our home having struggling through 4 Bankruptcy filings and much sickness we still are holding on.
My problem this morning is that I have a leaking Roof and have had it for about 1 year now and of course I have had a roofer to come in to fix the problem in my daughters bedroom but the problem seems to still persists, although I have been out of work since 2009. With my Wife's help who started a little day care service in the home although its not much but we are thankful. We are currently in the PHFA/EHLP program for our mortgage and we receive some county assistance from the SNAP program but no medical but we are managing. My question this morning is that I saw your add and the programs that your agency help people of such low income and I was wondering if I and my family may qualify for your help with our roof. Surely any help that we can receive or get will be greatly appreciated.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

You may want to get your roof fixed before the winter hits in Philadelphia. But we do not have ads, so not sure what you are referring too. Before applying for help from the community action agency, you better ensure the day care service is legit and your wife is running that properly. But as far as the repairs, try the Mayor Office's. The non-profit there has referrals, and read more Philadelphia Community Action Agency.
SouthernGirl

Post by SouthernGirl »

Our roof is leaking very badly and my husband is disabled as so am I. We have tried everything to fix roof and just do not have money to do more, such as pay contractors for roof repairs. We are on SS which he started getting in 2005 because of COPD and he still is getting. He is 65 now.
He gets 1037.00 a month and our underage son gets 234 a month. I get nothing. Please if you all can help us fix our roof you can call me which is my cell phone. We do not have a house phone. Thank you so much.