Layed off need help paying my rent! Single 45 female

Find how to get help with rent
wynnbeez
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two

Layed off need help paying my rent! Single 45 female

Post by wynnbeez »

(State of Alabama) I am a single 45 year old woman who got "Layed Off" while on a workers comp claim last May 7th. I reported the layoff to the state unemployment agency but told them I was under a workers comp claim and was not yet eligible to draw unemployment benefits. So In the meantime my former employer has refused to pay my TTD payments and I have been living on savings. Workers Comp ended up sending me for a torn rotor cuff surgery in July 2010 and I was not released by the doctor until October 31st. During the whole time, my former employer refused to pay my workers comp TTD payments (which are 2/3 of what you would make if you were working). So fortunately I had the foresight and live well within my means never buying anything extra to be able to save some money. So in November 2010, after being released from workers comp with a 2% permanent disability in my right shoulder. I immediately contacted the Alabama State Unemployment service. It took 3 weeks but they finally began paying me $238 per week. Which I thought with a salary of $40,00 per year prior to layoff I would get the max of $275 but did not. Anyhow, I also immediately began a job search and have placed over all these months probably close to 500 job application/resumes and have only spoken on the phone with 3 call backs. I have a B.S. Degree in Business Administration and 20 years experience in all types of bookkeeping, project coordination, training other how to use computer programs and marketing and I can't find a job. So I have moved to a one bedroom $385.00 per month apartment and have a monthly utility bill of about $87 per month, $52.00 cell phone bill because you have to have a way for people to get in touch with you and I haven't had a land line in 12 years. I also pay $24.95 per month for internet (which I need for job searches), but had my cable cut off due to lack of funds. I also have to pay my auto insurance, Health Insurance cobra (which has been $161.00 per month but I was informed that as of June it will go up to $420 per month) and I have other health issues and cannot afford to be without health insurance. Now as of May 7th, 2011, the State of Alabama tells me I am no longer eligible for unemployment because my year ran out and I haven't paid any since May 2010 (duh). I was told I actually have another $6000 available for unemployment in my paid in account. but I can't get that. I have called and called them and keep getting passed from one person to another because my unemployment was under special circumstances. I got "layed off" which is supposed to be against the law after getting injured on the job. So even though I was layed off on May 7th I was not eligible to work, therefore I could not receive unemployment until I was released from workers comp. I feel that my year should not have begun until November when I was eligible to start drawing unemployment. But it should still be based on the previous 3 quarter prior to May 7th due to my discharge under workers comp. Now I am having to take my for employer.....a huge unethical law firm to court just to try to get my unemployment TTD payments. They first said they "layed me off" due to office restructuring when the real truth was they laid me off because I got hurt on the job. But now they are saying they do not owe the TTD payments (which will be several thousand dollars because "I quit" which is a lie.) Had that been true, I would never have gotten to draw one cent of unemployment. They had to agree with the document sent to them from the state unemployment department. I have worked as an office manager for a construction company for seven years prior to this job, plus I have education and know how all this is supposed to work. But I cannot get through to a lawyer in the unemployment office in Alabama to speak to anyone my special circumstances. They keep sending me from person to person and then I end up in voice mail and I have left my name and number every day for the past 3 weeks. I have no income at all and my saving are enough to carry me though one more month. I have no family who has money to help me. I came from a poor family and was the first in my family of 8 to ever go to college and all but one of my brothers is layed off. Both my mother and father are in very poor health and seniors and are low income themselves and my father always worked. He was not lazy. I have one brother who has a wife and child to support who has not been layed off. Where can I get help. They closed down the community action in our county because the state/federal government no longer has any funds. I can get food from the food pantry at church so I will not starve but our church is struggling terribly because we have so many members layed off from their jobs. Therefore our fund which we would normally have to help people with rent and utilities is drained. My pastor is not even drawing a salary right now and is looking for a job himself and we are an independent church of 400 people and about 1/3 of the congregation are layed off. I don't know what I am going to do. I have been everywhere seeking a job, look everyday online, put in application online, send resumes,etc. in a 60 mile radius from where I live but I can't find any job. Not even a low paying job. Where can I find help. Because I will be out on the street within two months if I can't find a job. I have worked my whole life and paid taxes, I have a excellent credit rating, and this is the first time since I was 18 I had no job. I upset at the state unemployment service because I can't speak to a real person. I am upset with the laws in Alabama that allow an employer to fire you due to a workers comp injury and call it something else and then are not forced to pay my TTD payments. During the time from May 7 - Oct 31st. I could not have taken a job if one had come up because I was not allowed to due to the workers comp injury, surgery and rehab. If someone could give me any ideas I would appreciate it. I have never had to ask for help my whole life because I have always been able to provide for myself. I am all alone and on my own with no one to help me. If the state of Alabama would just give me the other $6000 one week at a time that I paid in from my paycheck while working in my unemployment account I could make it until I got a job. Or if the law would make my former employer pay TTD payments I could make it. But I don't know what to do. I have never been in a situation like this before. I have always been self sufficient and never had to ask for any help. But now that I need help. There seems to be none available. Yet if I were an illegal immigrant, I could get all typed of help. I am sitting here crying as I write this because I don't know what to do! I have tried everything I know to get help. It is amazing to me that our country can send aid to every nation in the world but we cannot provide for our citizens who just want a job. I am out on sending aid to Hati, Chile, Japan, Pakistan, etc, until we take care of our own citizens. (NOT ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS). They should not even have to treat them at an emergency room and if they go to a school or college to sign up and they are not legal. Put them in custody and deport them. CHARITY AND CARING BEGIN AT HOME! [/b]:cry:
Admin
Site Admin
anti spam: Blue

Re: Layed off need help paying my rent! Single 45 female

Post by Admin »

Sounds like you have a few items you need help with. Both free legal advice in Alabama as well as rent assistance. If you use this resource you can find agencies, law firms, and programs that can help with all those needs. http://needhelppayingbills.com/html/ala ... grams.html
Scroll mid way down to find rent, utility, and food programs for your county. Just select it. A little higher than that is information on how to get free legal aid in Alabama. And of course you have all of the navigation bars on the left menu to find debt, housing, and other aid for both Alabama and nationwide. Look into the extended unemployment benefits. Some states (and though Alabama was one of them?) will pay up to 99 weeks for unemployment due to the recent weak economy. Speak to a lawyer at a pro bono law firm, which you can find above using the Alabama assistance program resource. Your father and mother can get free health care in Alabama as well.

wynnbeez wrote:(State of Alabama) I am a single 45 year old woman who got "Layed Off" while on a workers comp claim last May 7th. I reported the layoff to the state unemployment agency but told them I was under a workers comp claim and was not yet eligible to draw unemployment benefits. So In the meantime my former employer has refused to pay my TTD payments and I have been living on savings. Workers Comp ended up sending me for a torn rotor cuff surgery in July 2010 and I was not released by the doctor until October 31st. During the whole time, my former employer refused to pay my workers comp TTD payments (which are 2/3 of what you would make if you were working). So fortunately I had the foresight and live well within my means never buying anything extra to be able to save some money. So in November 2010, after being released from workers comp with a 2% permanent disability in my right shoulder. I immediately contacted the Alabama State Unemployment service. It took 3 weeks but they finally began paying me $238 per week. Which I thought with a salary of $40,00 per year prior to layoff I would get the max of $275 but did not. Anyhow, I also immediately began a job search and have placed over all these months probably close to 500 job application/resumes and have only spoken on the phone with 3 call backs. I have a B.S. Degree in Business Administration and 20 years experience in all types of bookkeeping, project coordination, training other how to use computer programs and marketing and I can't find a job. So I have moved to a one bedroom $385.00 per month apartment and have a monthly utility bill of about $87 per month, $52.00 cell phone bill because you have to have a way for people to get in touch with you and I haven't had a land line in 12 years. I also pay $24.95 per month for internet (which I need for job searches), but had my cable cut off due to lack of funds. I also have to pay my auto insurance, Health Insurance cobra (which has been $161.00 per month but I was informed that as of June it will go up to $420 per month) and I have other health issues and cannot afford to be without health insurance. Now as of May 7th, 2011, the State of Alabama tells me I am no longer eligible for unemployment because my year ran out and I haven't paid any since May 2010 (duh). I was told I actually have another $6000 available for unemployment in my paid in account. but I can't get that. I have called and called them and keep getting passed from one person to another because my unemployment was under special circumstances. I got "layed off" which is supposed to be against the law after getting injured on the job. So even though I was layed off on May 7th I was not eligible to work, therefore I could not receive unemployment until I was released from workers comp. I feel that my year should not have begun until November when I was eligible to start drawing unemployment. But it should still be based on the previous 3 quarter prior to May 7th due to my discharge under workers comp. Now I am having to take my for employer.....a huge unethical law firm to court just to try to get my unemployment TTD payments. They first said they "layed me off" due to office restructuring when the real truth was they laid me off because I got hurt on the job. But now they are saying they do not owe the TTD payments (which will be several thousand dollars because "I quit" which is a lie.) Had that been true, I would never have gotten to draw one cent of unemployment. They had to agree with the document sent to them from the state unemployment department. I have worked as an office manager for a construction company for seven years prior to this job, plus I have education and know how all this is supposed to work. But I cannot get through to a lawyer in the unemployment office in Alabama to speak to anyone my special circumstances. They keep sending me from person to person and then I end up in voice mail and I have left my name and number every day for the past 3 weeks. I have no income at all and my saving are enough to carry me though one more month. I have no family who has money to help me. I came from a poor family and was the first in my family of 8 to ever go to college and all but one of my brothers is layed off. Both my mother and father are in very poor health and seniors and are low income themselves and my father always worked. He was not lazy. I have one brother who has a wife and child to support who has not been layed off. Where can I get help. They closed down the community action in our county because the state/federal government no longer has any funds. I can get food from the food pantry at church so I will not starve but our church is struggling terribly because we have so many members layed off from their jobs. Therefore our fund which we would normally have to help people with rent and utilities is drained. My pastor is not even drawing a salary right now and is looking for a job himself and we are an independent church of 400 people and about 1/3 of the congregation are layed off. I don't know what I am going to do. I have been everywhere seeking a job, look everyday online, put in application online, send resumes,etc. in a 60 mile radius from where I live but I can't find any job. Not even a low paying job. Where can I find help. Because I will be out on the street within two months if I can't find a job. I have worked my whole life and paid taxes, I have a excellent credit rating, and this is the first time since I was 18 I had no job. I upset at the state unemployment service because I can't speak to a real person. I am upset with the laws in Alabama that allow an employer to fire you due to a workers comp injury and call it something else and then are not forced to pay my TTD payments. During the time from May 7 - Oct 31st. I could not have taken a job if one had come up because I was not allowed to due to the workers comp injury, surgery and rehab. If someone could give me any ideas I would appreciate it. I have never had to ask for help my whole life because I have always been able to provide for myself. I am all alone and on my own with no one to help me. If the state of Alabama would just give me the other $6000 one week at a time that I paid in from my paycheck while working in my unemployment account I could make it until I got a job. Or if the law would make my former employer pay TTD payments I could make it. But I don't know what to do. I have never been in a situation like this before. I have always been self sufficient and never had to ask for any help. But now that I need help. There seems to be none available. Yet if I were an illegal immigrant, I could get all typed of help. I am sitting here crying as I write this because I don't know what to do! I have tried everything I know to get help. It is amazing to me that our country can send aid to every nation in the world but we cannot provide for our citizens who just want a job. I am out on sending aid to Hati, Chile, Japan, Pakistan, etc, until we take care of our own citizens. (NOT ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS). They should not even have to treat them at an emergency room and if they go to a school or college to sign up and they are not legal. Put them in custody and deport them. CHARITY AND CARING BEGIN AT HOME! [/b]:cry:
Bluetooth

Post by Bluetooth »

I am a female, just found I am pregnant, was supposed to be in basic training for the Army National Guard, but because of my pregnancy I had to come home. The problem now is I don't make enough money to rent an apartment, and now I just live from one friend house to another. I am getting depression already for not knowing what I can do. Please help.
King

Post by King »

Hi, I am writing in regards to temporary housing for a single 46 year old women and I have no children and no husband. About five years ago I was a witness to a homicide case that involved my ex-boyfriend. He was found guilty and sentenced to twenty five years to live with the eligibility of parole. I moved out to Syracuse NY and after some years I moved back to Washington and have stayed in many different places.
I recently attended a party with my mom where I bumped into some of his family members who weren't very happy to see me. This man will soon be released from prison. I am afraid for my life as far as his family is concerned. I stay in a different place every day.
I have no permanent housing or money to afford high rent costs. I have applied for section 8 and have been on the waiting list for three years now. I receive public assistance, food stamps program and I am already receiving medical. I receive my mail thru pots, an organization that helps with receiving mail. I really need some help with the proper steps on entering a temporary housing place. Is there any way I can get involved in taking the proper steps to receiving temporary housing and rent assistance? I would so appreciate any help or information you can provide.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

There are several rent assistance programs in Syracuse to try for help. But yes, section 8 does have extensive waiting lists. It can normally take years (if not longer). Actually waiting 3 years is not a long time to wait. Also, rent costs are not high in Syracuse so not really sure what you mean there.
King wrote:Hi, I am writing in regards to temporary housing for a single 46 year old women and I have no children and no husband. About five years ago I was a witness to a homicide case that involved my ex-boyfriend. He was found guilty and sentenced to twenty five years to live with the eligibility of parole. I moved out to Syracuse NY and after some years I moved back to Washington and have stayed in many different places.