Section 8 waiting list in Virginia

Find how to get help with rent
Macaranoi
Antispam check: Dog
Antispam check: two
anti spam: Blue

Section 8 waiting list in Virginia

Post by Macaranoi »

Hi, I live in Prince William county Virginia and I'm a single parent on disability due to a mental illness I have. I was wondering how your program work and how I can be in it because I'm in need if a place the people I am renting for is moving and I have to find somewhere to live. I've been on the section 8 waiting list since 2011 and I've been contacting them to see when I would be able to use it and they say there's nothing they can do that I have to wait, and the main reason I had applied.
In The beginning I was homeless was because of this reason. Until I found a place to rent And now I'm in need of a place. They did notify me in advance prior to now that's why I had been notifying the housing authorities for section 8. If you could please contact me with information or anything your program could do I would really appreciate it, thank you.
Omni

Re: Section 8 waiting list in Virginia

Post by Omni »

I need help for me and my family. It's me, my kids father and our 3 daughters ages 7, 2, and 1. We live with my kids grandmother who has threaten and actually kicked us out in the past numerous of times and who is reverting back to her old ways.
Now I'm working I'm a Certified Home Health Aide in Virginia Beach who only gets paid about $300 a check and that's sometimes. My kids father worked for the county public works but got laid off. W were planning to move because he was getting paid good money but it was hard to because his mother wouldn't let us save but had to pay her with most of our money.
When he got laid off he went an applied for unemployment which they gave him. He used it all and can't get a extension. He couldn't get a job because he staying home watching the little ones while I work so I won't lose my license. Welfare won't help us with childcare nor housing because we don't get general assistance and he is not working.
I've applied for section 8 and low income apartments in Virginia but the waiting lists be so long. I've been on section 8 waiting list for 4 years. I just really need some help. I don't want to wake up one day and she says we have to go and we have no where to go. Thank you for your time.
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

Yes, section 8 often has a multiple year waiting list, especially in more lower income areas such as Virginia Beach. Has the father started to look for another job yet to bring in some form of income? That will be required in order to get a HUD section 8 voucher, as they want people to work towards self-sufficiency. Also, look into the Virginia general assistance programs in addition to the HUD vouchers. http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... ginia.html
SeeMe

Post by SeeMe »

Newport News, VA Rent - HELP PLEASE. I am 63 years old. My husband of 17 years stopped paying mortgage so went to auction without my knowledge except 1 week before. I have been searching for job last 7 weeks without success.
My Husband refuses help and quite his job moving to son in Kentucky on Saturday. I had not worked last 4 years due to family situations. Husband abuse/hit in 2013, sister died unexpectedly 2015.
I was helping older sister who was diagnosed with ALS 2012 and passed away 8/31/16 after years of brave battle. I live in Legacy section 8 qualified apartment and rent is late today. Husband said he would help but now NO! I have $4 in my checking account and trying to get anything I can sold to pay rent & food, utilities. Is their anywhere I can get help this month until I am hired in a job??? I don’t want to be forced into early retirement due to such a minimal amount to live on. Thanking you in Advance for any help/guidance you can offer. Sincerely,
Admin
Site Admin

Post by Admin »

The place you want to try is Social Services in Newport. They are located here.
http://www.needhelppayingbills.com/html ... f_soc.html
Not only is section 8 run from their, but many other rental and housing resources may be offered too. Especially if you are 63 and a senior.
SeeMe wrote:Newport News, VA Rent - HELP PLEASE. I am 63 years old. My husband of 17 years stopped paying mortgage so went to auction without my knowledge except 1 week before. I have been searching for job last 7 weeks without success.
Bucker

Re: Section 8 waiting list in Richmond Virginia

Post by Bucker »

I checked into ABCCM in my area in Richmond VA for some help. I check in while I am waiting on the section 8 waiting list for a home. The first email I received was very nice, from Lynn. She explained that they don't get hardly any donations anymore. So I asked her how I could go about getting on a waiting list for section 8 voucher. Then she responded, "Like I said, the vehicles only go to people who are already in the program." I feel that she was very rude and unprofessional with that response. I'm out here, working my butt off, coming from a very bad situation in VA. I came to NC and escaped a life of drugs. I've been clean for almost 3 years and I've been able to get my life back on track, with the exception of my own vehicle. I don't appreciate the response I received at all.
Admin
Site Admin

Re: Section 8 waiting list in Richmond Virginia

Post by Admin »

As you probably know, waiting on section 8 can take months if not years. We assume the same is true for all of Virginia. There are other housing and rental programs you can try in the meantime, and look here for help paying rent in Richmond VA.
Bucker wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:34 pm I checked into ABCCM in my area in Richmond VA for some help. I check in while I am waiting on the section 8 waiting list for a home.